Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy New member could use some help

Hello everyone, my name is Pat Kelly. I am new to this forum and i am having a horrible week, i'm hoping you guys might help. My car is a 87 930 cabriolet that my father bought in 2010 from the original owner. Car was factory stock with 30k miles when we got it. It remained that way with the exception of a full B&B exhaust with heat and a 1 bar WG spring. We had some planned upgrades (only reversible upgrades) that we were about to install before driving down to Deal's Gap. Last week my father passed away at 61. My father loved that car so I decided to keep our plans. I dropped the car off at my local air cooled shop for some tires and to have the car gone over before i left. The owner of the shop called and gives me some more bad news. Number 3 head stud appears to have broken on the exhaust side. So the motor has to come out and they cant have it finished for 5 months. I dont know what to do. I need some options to have it repaired and preferably soon, this trip and this car mean very much to me. Do I pull engine myself? Do i trailer car to another reputable shop? I am not new to building cars but i am new to porsches. Thanks for any help, ill also post some pics.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I’d pull the motor and send it out.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Pat Iím sorry about your loss. Sound like you and your dad were close. Iím the same and my dad got me into this mess as well.

Whatís the timeframe your trying to get this done?

Itís not the best option but you could just take it apart and replace the head studs and put it back together.

How far of a drive is it to deals gap? My car ran fine with a broken head stud for a couple years. I didnít know it was broken until I started taking the engine apart. I knew it had bad leak down numbers on one cylinder, but it drove fine. I drove it from North Carolina to philly with the broken head stud.

Personally Iíd advise you to take your time and build it right. Enjoy the process, talk to people here and figure out what you want to do. Chris at TurboKraft helped me a lot on my build. I appreciated his guidance a lot. Deals gap will be there. And I hear itís awesome in the fall.

What shop would you have do the engine build?

Rich
Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Any opinions to where to send it? I have a k27/29 and tial WG on its way from Rarly8 as well as a WUR and fuel distributor, with boost at 1 bar. Obviously new head studs, but what else since im gonna be in there? Mahle motorsport 3.4 or new factory pistons and cylinders? supertec or arp studs? Replace cams?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
First my condolences, at 61 that way too early. Good for you for continuing with the plans, I’d bet he’d be happy you’ve picked up the torch. Many a 911 and 930 are running with broken headstuds (do a search on the engine rebuilding forum here), I had 3 before I finally pulled and did the work myself. Definitely a leak annoyance and should be repaired, but as long as she’s running well you don’t have to do anything drastic now. Take the time to think through what you need to do.

Enjoy the car for the trip/summer, then plan for a winter tear down either yourself of find a good shop to send to (no shortage of opinions here) and enjoy the path down the slippery slope. There is a good group of guys here, our shared passion for the 930 is a bond that knows no boundaries.

Keep posting, keep sharing, take lots of pics along the way!

BTW I’m a TurboKraft fanboy as well. He’s a contributor here (along with Brian Rarlyl8) they share lots of info here to keep our cars running, even when there is no $$$ in it for them. We’ve got to support out supporters!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 05-03-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm not sure, i've seen some projects that turbokraft and patrick motorsports have done and was really impressed. i'd like to make deals gap by end of summer/early fall but also dont want anything rushed. Patrick told me roughly 6 weeks and that was if i took them the car.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

what else can get damaged by not fixing the head studs now?
Rich and pat thank you for your condolences

Last edited by 930TurboCab; 05-03-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If it's only an occasional use car, then I would drive the car till winter, plan for how to fix it during the summer, then execute the plan next winter.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I would also talk to Asse Sales in L.A. they have a dedicated (the only thing he does) engine builder. One of my friends who restores early 911s sends all his motors to them. Whom ever you go with, I’d want a time frame for complition.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
eventully you might toast a head, but things would have to get pretty loose , you would be hearing the exhaust leak by then.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 05-03-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

im picking the car up and bringing it home tomorrow so ill see if i hear any new exhaust noise, but its already fairly loud, the b&b muffler cracked pretty bad. not sure if ill hear it over the exhaust. taking this trip was how i was going to grieve, and now this happens. I am grateful for everyones help, i've been going through this by myself so it feels good to talk about it, so again thank you everyone.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
930Turbocab, where is your home? Lots of good shops, maybe one is close to where you live.
Some good threads on here about bolt on mods.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

crb07, im located just outside of philadelphia in the lehigh valley (very close to lake nockamixon). the car is at IMO the best air cooled shop in the area (specialty cars) but they are 5 months out and i'd like to have some options.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Peace of mind on your trip depends on the severity of the broken stud. Damage can go from one single stud with the barrel nut end popped off (that can be repaired in situ) to several broken studs deep in the block with heads clapping at every revolution.
I'd get as much detailed info as you can on the issue then make a decision. Most likely once a shop has the engine apart you will want to do many while you are in there things which take time. I wouldn't rush it at that point.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Pat,

I'm relatively local to you and get out to your area pretty frequently. My Mom lives in the Perkasie area. My car is actually still in winter storage out there, something I'm hoping to remedy this weekend. If you ever need a hand I'm happy to help out when I can. I'm not an expert like many here, but I have a little experience.

Too bad you weren't around here a couple years ago. We had a turbo get together (turbopalooza) at Lack Nockamixin. Unfortunately, the member that hosted everyone has sold his 930. He helped me a lot with tools and suggestions when I built my engine as well.

Dawes Motorsport is another local option that has come highly recommended. Though I'm sure they'll be just as long as Specialty Cars. When I rebuilt my engine the machine work took a long time I think it was 4 months give or take just waiting for the machining process.

Don't rush an engine rebuild you want to do it right 1 time.

Last edited by Rich76_911s; 05-04-2018 at 06:39 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Pat... Sorry for your loss. I'm a 2nd for Dawes Motorsports. They are fantastic and have a very long history with the Porsche & Andial teams. They have built 2 motors for me over the years. I drive from NC to use them.
1969 911 T (Gone)
Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sorry for your loss.

I have a B&B dual out exhaust in good condition just collecting dust id sell here in Seattle if you want to replace your cracked unit.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 05-04-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i actually called dawes this morning but didnt get a hold of anyone, ill try email. thank you for the help everyone. Rich thank you for your offer i might take you up on it, i have total access to a friends shop with lifts to make it easier. 16volt i just might need that muffler, hopefully sooner than later. Turbopalooza at nockamixon? why cant we have another, that sounds like a lot of fun. i grew up one minute off the lake and only live about 5 minutes from there now. something to think about
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Pat Kelly? I'm Pat Kelly!

I don't have anything to add at all, except to also wish you the best.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: