Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep View Post
Thanks, if you could indulge me once more. Would you recommend Curil T on the intake runners to head gasket? Are these very likely to leak? I'd like to avoid any mess by installing dry but looks painful to remedy if one leaked.

Thanks again.
Anyone? Seems I've also read someone using grease and another hi temp anti-seize on these gaskets. Either of these work?

Searched this thread and others to no avail.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #561 (permalink)

Garage
I used Curil T on the intake runners-heads on my 3.2 build.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #562 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep View Post
Anyone? Seems I've also read someone using grease and another hi temp anti-seize on these gaskets. Either of these work?

Searched this thread and others to no avail.
I use grease on my intake gaskets, especially for carbs. You can take the intake on and off several times without damaging the gasket.
I rub the grease in and wipe off all excess. I use Swepco grease.
I've done this for over 25 years, never an issue or leak. Of course this is for paper intake gaskets only.

I also true up the manifolds, flat surface like glass with sandpaper, 180 grit is the finest you have to go.

I wouldn't use anti-seize.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by Mark Henry; 05-07-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Old 05-07-2017, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #563 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post

I also true up the manifolds, flat surface like glass with sandpaper, 180 grit is the finest you have to go.
^^^ Good advice there by Mark. I'll also add that it's a good idea to true up the plastic/phenolic spacers to avoid leaks. With flat manifolds and flat spacers, you should have no issues with leaks.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 05-08-2017, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #564 (permalink)

Garage
Case Thru Bolt Adhesive Cure Time-Saver Method

I read through this whole thread and didnt catch much detail on the case assembly method where you assemble and torque the thru bolts without the o-rings then go back and put them in afterwards, to help you get everything torqued before the adhesives cure. Here is my assumption of what it is:

1. Follow normal assembly procedure with stated adhesives/sealants.
2. Install case thru bolts, washers, and nuts without o-rings.
3. Torque case thru bolts and perimeter nuts per normal assembly procedure.
4. Wait for all adhesives to cure completely. (how long is this? a day or two?)
5. Come back and remove one thru bolt at a time, install o-rings with Dow 55, reinstall in case and retorque.
6. Repeat with all case thru bolts in the original tightening order?

Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #565 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
I found the 1104 started to "tack off" before I had finished spreading around the perimeter of the case. You need to work fast; aim to have it together within 5-10mins max.
The timeframe on the box is even smaller, it reads as 1 minute. Sorry, but I'm confused as to how everyone is closing up the case in the required time if the sealant is starting to tack off even before the sealant application is finished.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #566 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McM View Post
The timeframe on the box is even smaller, it reads as 1 minute. Sorry, but I'm confused as to how everyone is closing up the case in the required time if the sealant is starting to tack off even before the sealant application is finished.
This time actually refers to "working time", the time you have to evenly spread the sealant onto the mating surface.
It doesn't matter if it starts to tack/skin after it's applied, you then have a 15-20 minute window for putting the halves together.

I've used this on several magnesium chainsaw cases where the engine case is part of the fuel tank. This is a 100% perfect sealant for this job and if it can seal a tank up for fuel it will have no problem with oil.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by Mark Henry; 05-14-2017 at 09:56 AM..
Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #567 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jmotorsports View Post
I read through this whole thread and didnt catch much detail on the case assembly method where you assemble and torque the thru bolts without the o-rings then go back and put them in afterwards, to help you get everything torqued before the adhesives cure. Here is my assumption of what it is:

1. Follow normal assembly procedure with stated adhesives/sealants.
2. Install case thru bolts, washers, and nuts without o-rings.
3. Torque case thru bolts and perimeter nuts per normal assembly procedure.
4. Wait for all adhesives to cure completely. (how long is this? a day or two?)
5. Come back and remove one thru bolt at a time, install o-rings with Dow 55, reinstall in case and retorque.
6. Repeat with all case thru bolts in the original tightening order?

Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.
But, why?

Confirming you can put all of this together, with the o-rings and Dow 55, in one go. I.e., follow the normal procedure with the recommended sealants and lubricants.

Having a helper makes it less stressful. As is practicing installing the thru-bolts to get a feel for: 1) is your crank going to turn freely, 2) I know how long it is going to take, 3 all the tools are ready, 4) and the workbench is organized to make it happen quickly.

It went pretty fast, and now, even 7000 miles later it doesn't leak.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #568 (permalink)

Garage
I suppose the only reason would be to add a bit of a safety factor in making sure you get everything torqued before the adhesives kick off.

As much as I would like a helper, I dont have much access to one at the moment and I am literally about to seal a 3.0L case.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #569 (permalink)

Loctite 574 versus 518:

Ok, having a difficult time finding Loctite 574 here locally, but 518 is available.

Is 518 ok to use on the cam towers to heads sealing surface? I need to proceed with this tomorrow - cannot wait for next order...

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #570 (permalink)

#8 bearing sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schmidt View Post
When the #8 main bearing leaks it can be caused by one or both of two issues.
When the leak occurs on a fresh engine quite often the case journal that holds the bearing is out of round. I've measured ovality over .015". The bearing seals by compressing an o-ring and because this area is under pressure, a standard o-ring (unassisted) is incapable of sealing with this kind of tolerance. This ovality is the reason why (after years of resisting) we started using ThreeBond 1211 in the #8 journal.
The second issue, the most common on an engine with higher mileage is a compressed and hardened o-ring. After the engine has heat cycled and sat year in and year out the o-ring under compression takes a set, hardens and fails.
Is the Threebond 1211 used just on the o ring or is the entire #8 bearing given a thin covering?
thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #571 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
Is the Threebond 1211 used just on the o ring or is the entire #8 bearing given a thin covering?
thanks
Not on the o-ring itself!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #572 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Reviving this never-ending great thread.

Most everyone here likes using Loctite 574 on the main bearing webs due to its additional shear strength it adds, especially to unpinned mag cases, aiding the cessation of chatter which occurs in these things. I cannot say how successful 574 has been in helping these situations or not, hopefully someone can chime in? Anyway, it was brought to my attention by a Loctite rep that a low or medium strength retaining compound such as 509 would actually be a more appropriate for this particular application. Tensile strength of 509 on aluminum or mag is about 40% stronger and it is also anaerobic. My concern would be that because it's stronger, how much more difficult would that make for the case to come apart again? Don't personally know how difficult it is taking apart a case treated with 574 on the webs, but we can say it might be a bit more difficult?

My shop is very near Road Atlanta so we have all manner of reps going through the area and I happen to catch this gentleman today at the machine shop I use and we discussed the topic a bit. Just a note re an alternative and if anyone cares to comment.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #573 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
574 is tried and true but the cleanup of cured sealant is kind of a drag with today's solvents (weaker). Not a big deal. Just worth mentioning.

I know the chatter you speak of on the main webs. Seems to be the norm on these engines. I've heard some pros say they don't like the 574 goop on the main webs because it can prevent complete bearing "squish" or "crush" as they call it. The 574 does squeeze out quite well, so the residual amount left between the mating surfaces seems quite thin. I would just be sure to spread the 574 or 509 as absolutely thin as possible here.

Regarding the effort required to break the bond, the last engine I did had the orange goop on the webs and it wasn't excessively difficult to get the case apart. But I had used the white threebond 1184 on the case perimeter and that stuff doesn't make the case halves stick together like the 574. So I can't say with certainty how much extra effort is needed with the additional 574 placed on the webs.

Another good solution to the web chatter is sleeving the case through the through-bolt bores. Craig from G2 Performance does this with stainless sleeves and he notches them where there are oil delivery passages for the piston squirters. Also saw Neil Harvey doing this on the basketcase rebuild update recently posted.

Home Built engine build. Saving the unsaveable.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 10-13-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #574 (permalink)

Does anyone know if Supertech still sells their complete adhesive packages? Its on their site, but the checkout feature isn't working (page is blank). Also, it says they will call to verify order prior to actual order occurring? Is that SOP?

I will probably just call, but was trying to save them some time on the phone as its a small order...

KTL, the point you mention is interesting. I wonder how much crush you lose by using the 574 near the through bolts...

When I test reassemble my case this weekend I may just see and measure...

Bo
Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #575 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
You can also buy the Supertec kit through Pelican.
SPTC-SUP-CSK-001
Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #576 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
You can also buy the Supertec kit through Pelican.
SPTC-SUP-CSK-001
Cool, didn't know that?

Searched here for first for all the components and none of the Loctite products showed up...

Did buy from our host...

Bo

Last edited by bpu699; 10-17-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #577 (permalink)

I'm in Wisconsin... And it just got cold. In the 50s today...

Anyone have comments on using these sealers in cold, but no freezing, weather?

I would think you would have a longer working time, which may be a good thing...

Any negatives or folks having issues?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #578 (permalink)

Garage
Will be sealing my heads to cam towers soon with Threebond 1194. The sealing surfaces on my heads are currently a nice shiny machined finish and my cam towers have a nice finely textured bead blasted finish. Provided they are clean are these surfaces ok to mate as-is or should one be changed for another?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #579 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: