Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I would do both because it skins over pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #581 (permalink)

Thanks! Will do.

Have a great thanksgiving.

Bo
Old 11-22-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #582 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
I only used it once, see what the min temp you can apply it at, if itís 50 I would apply it as cold as they allow giving you more time to assemble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #583 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
One side only as per TB instructions.
Cleanliness is paramount.
Apply a moderate bead and spread it evenly. I use my finger to insure that the sealant is adhering.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 11-22-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #584 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schmidt View Post
One side only as per TB instructions.
Cleanliness is paramount.
Apply a moderate bead and spread it evenly. I use my finger to insure that the sealant is adhering.
Link to the instructions? None in my box... Or are you referring to the fine print on the tube?

It's 50 -60 degrees in my garage... What do you figure safe working time is? Seen posts mention 10 minutes to 30 minutes

Last edited by bpu699; 11-22-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #585 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
The instructions are printed in the package.
"apply as thinly and evenly as possible"
I interpret that to mean, coating one side is thinner than coating both.
As far as work time: I apply the sealant and put the case together quickly. If you're set up and ready to go, time shouldn't be an issue.

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 11-22-2017, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #586 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
Is the Threebond 1211 used just on the o ring or is the entire #8 bearing given a thin covering?
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by efhughes3 View Post
Not on the o-ring itself!
I've decided to use Threebond 1211 on my #8 nose bearing during assembly and wanted to verify where to put it exactly - on both halves @ the case bearing web all around? Is it better to try NOT to get it on the o-ring or OK to get it on the o-ring? Is it OK if it get's in/near the oil supply hole in the case & in the bearing itself? Super thin coat so as not to mess w/tolerances as much as possible...?

Just want to be clear so I have the best chance for success.

Also, I'm assuming that doing this slightly amends the assembly procedure and timing as the crank has to be OUT of the case in order to apply the 1211 in the nose bearing area, THEN the crank goes in the case, THEN you apply the perimeter & main bearing web sealant, THEN you mate the case halves... All of which adds an extra step or 2 during the scramble to mate the case halves before the sealant goes off - is that correct?

Thanks so much,

Tom
Old 02-19-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #587 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom '74 911 View Post
I've decided to use Threebond 1211 on my #8 nose bearing during assembly and wanted to verify where to put it exactly - on both halves @ the case bearing web all around? Is it better to try NOT to get it on the o-ring or OK to get it on the o-ring? Is it OK if it get's in/near the oil supply hole in the case & in the bearing itself? Super thin coat so as not to mess w/tolerances as much as possible...?

Just want to be clear so I have the best chance for success.

Also, I'm assuming that doing this slightly amends the assembly procedure and timing as the crank has to be OUT of the case in order to apply the 1211 in the nose bearing area, THEN the crank goes in the case, THEN you apply the perimeter & main bearing web sealant, THEN you mate the case halves... All of which adds an extra step or 2 during the scramble to mate the case halves before the sealant goes off - is that correct?

Thanks so much,

Tom
Tom, I have only done a couple engines, but they are not leaking.. yet.. and I used 1211, 1104 and 574.
I put the 574 on the main bearing web surfaces first since it wont go off until absence of O2... then I applied a very thin coating of 1211 to the nose bearing itself all around(bearing is on the crank, but not in the case), being careful not to get it on the o-ring.. if a tiny bit gets on, it shouldnt matter. Then I quickly get the 1104 on the perimeter, then crank goes in, and it all gets buttoned up.

Pretty sure that is the process you had outlined above. To speed it up, I put my through bolts all in and torqued down, without putting the o-rings on.. then went back one at a time, and removed each through bolt and put the o-ring on. All this did was save a bit of time in getting the case torqued down. I am sure that the pros don't need to do this step and work a lot faster than I.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #588 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
I applied a very thin coating of 1211 to the nose bearing itself all around(bearing is on the crank, but not in the case), being careful not to get it on the o-ring.. if a tiny bit gets on, it shouldnt matter.
Thanks Mike, that's more or less as I assumed...

A further #8 O-ring question - so if the 1211 goes on the nose bearing itself, avoiding the O-ring as much as possible, the O-ring is essentially getting installed dry?

The reason I ask is that in my test-fittings of the crank in the right case-half, I've been having issues pinching the #8 O-ring to the point of cutting it. (Try finding a replacement viton #8 O-ring outside of a full engine rebuild seal kit - it's not easy!) Test fitting w/a little oil on the o-ring provided much better results...

So, I guess my question is: using this method, is the O-ring installed dry? and if yes, what's the technique to doing it cleanly w/out slicing and/or pinching the O-ring between the case halves?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #589 (permalink)

Garage
On my 3.6 rebuild I put some Dow 111 grease on the o-ring, well on all the o-rings in the engine.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #590 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe View Post
On my 3.6 rebuild I put some Dow 111 grease on the o-ring, well on all the o-rings in the engine.
Hi Magnus, did you use just Dow 111 at the #8 bearing or in addition to Threebond 1211?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #591 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom '74 911 View Post
Hi Magnus, did you use just Dow 111 at the #8 bearing or in addition to Threebond 1211?
Thanks,
Tom
Just the 111 on the o-ring, not saying that is right, probably not...but its dry at the moment.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #592 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Dow Corning 111 on the o-ring is a great choice. The silicone paste of course lubricates the o-ring and also protects the rubber from long term oil contamination/degradation.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #593 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Bump...cuz I need this thread.

MattR
Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #594 (permalink)

yeah this needs a sticky like the no start thread in the turbo forum
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-21-2018, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #595 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: