Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by R69S View Post
...And next season I will be happy to take your money against my precious Valentino, not sure who you would bet on though, your boy quit the dream.
I'd like to be next in line for a friendly wager with you too Ralf. I'll take Vale, you can take whoever you want. You can even wait till the end of silly season to choose.

$100?

N.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
People can ***** all they want, but there is nobody currently not on a factory ride that has more skill, speed and talent than Rossi even at his current age. As long as that is the case, and as long as he wants to ride, he is deservingly in a factory seat. Nobody is bigger than the sport, including Rossi and when he retires the sport will go on just as happily. If others feel they have more right to his seat, they have to put their money where their mouth is and prove it on the track. And no, having a ok season while Rossi is struggling with Ducati to make it work is not that.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblehops View Post
I'd like to be next in line for a friendly wager with you too Ralf. I'll take Vale, you can take whoever you want. You can even wait till the end of silly season to choose.

$100?

N.
Yessir... and I take Lorenzo!
2001 HD Sportster 1200S - 2005 R1200GS - 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister View Post
People can ***** all they want, but there is nobody currently not on a factory ride that has more skill, speed and talent than Rossi even at his current age. As long as that is the case, and as long as he wants to ride, he is deservingly in a factory seat. Nobody is bigger than the sport, including Rossi and when he retires the sport will go on just as happily. If others feel they have more right to his seat, they have to put their money where their mouth is and prove it on the track. And no, having a ok season while Rossi is struggling with Ducati to make it work is not that.
Skill speed and talent have never been enough,you didn't include the important bit,Stoner has all of those in spades but only those and hence why he's retiring.

When Rossi retires!!!,at this point in time I'd suggest he's not in control of that because Dorna need him too much and with next year GP's looking like Honda V Yamaha and no one else even more so.

The qoute I was given at Mugello 'Dorna will pay him as much as it takes to keep him in Moto GP'

Dorna's saving grace!! WSB are in the same state.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Canning View Post
...the moment you have a sportsmen getting bigger than the sport you have a problem...

...he should get on the podium..

Signit hit the nail on the head,'Many other greats have missed the correct exit point'

So...If I understand you logic correctly.
Michael Phelps is bad for swimming
Tiger Woods is bad for golf
Michael Jordan was bad for basketball
Michael Schumacher was bad for F1
Wayne Gretsky was bad for hockey
Mike Tyson was bad for boxing
Ect...

And

It appears you are suggesting he (VR) will get podiums but that is not good enough so he should be looking for his exit..?

To your first point (if I understood it correctly). No one can become bigger or smaller than the group they are contained in. i.e. the Queen is not "bigger" than England. They would have to be part of an entirely different group for any coherent measure to be made, i.e. bacon is bigger than breakfast. The only factual measure of what is good or bad for a sport is the money it can generate. When a competitor gets fans those fans now have an emotional interest in the sport. This always translates into (if only on a small scale) a financial investment. We both watch the races and the commercials / sponsors that pay them. So I will have to respectfully disagree with your theory here.

To your second point, there are many competitors that never see the podium, should they pack it up and leave the track as well? Hayden was a champion long ago and has scarcely seen the podium since, maybe you should write him a thoughtful letter asking for his resignation as he is not achieving your expectations? Maybe we should just elect one of them "King of MotoGP" and retire the sport as a whole..? Weither or not VR is waiting for his Swan Song or maybe a sign from God, only his heart will know when he should retire. Fact is, the only bad season VR has ever seen has been on the current Ducati and that about to be remedied.
2001 540iA/Sport
Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Rather than reply to excentric waffle,we already have a Pom Pom waver on here as it is!!,I think Rossi should have stayed and seen the job through instead of running away and buying himself another ride,there's far more glory to be had sorting that Ducati than playing second fiddle and financing to Lorenzo and Yamaha.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Michael Phelps is bad for swimming... if he follows through with his retirement, he's doing it right!
Tiger Woods is bad for golf... missed the exit point
Michael Jordan was bad for basketball... came back half-assed and missed the exit point.
Michael Schumacher was bad for F1... BADLY missed the exit point with his comeback.
Wayne Gretsky was bad for hockey... well, that one went ok
Mike Tyson was bad for boxing... he definitely was and missed the exit point SEVERAL times! But then, Boxing is bad for Boxing...
Old 08-11-2012, 08:18 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Quote:
Rather than reply to excentric waffle,we already have a Pom Pom waver on here as it is!!,I think Rossi should have stayed and seen the job through instead of running away and buying himself another ride,there's far more glory to be had sorting that Ducati than playing second fiddle and financing to Lorenzo and Yamaha.
+100!

In my eyes, he's somewhat of a quitter now... I am sure the Italian fans will not look upon it so favorably either. I partially buy his argument that "they would just not listen" but with the ray of light (Volkswagen) on the horizon, he should have stuck with it.

But, as I said before, it's about the limelight, nothing else...
Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
N.
I am not brave enough to bet against Lorenzo in the 2013 season, he has too much of a head start after testing all the crap parts on Ben's bike. Getting a championship the first year of a team change will prove to be difficult. But...if anyone is capable...it's The Dr.!!! (I know...I'm a fanboy ).

Not sure who was at the race or might have saw the coverage but...at Laguna Seca with about 6 laps left, Rossi tucked the front end of the Duc at the top of the carousal. What many might not have see was after the race ended and the riders were taking their parade lap, Nikki stopped at the top of the carousal, Vallie ran out from behind the barrier, jumped on the back of Nikki's bike and they both rode down the carousal like two gay hero's into the sunset. It was sooooo cool!!!!! I was right there and we all (the crowd) went nuts. When I grow up I want to be like Nikki, that kid has class.
2001 540iA/Sport
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signit98 View Post
Michael Phelps is bad for swimming... if he follows through with his retirement, he's doing it right!
Michael Jordan was bad for basketball... came back half-assed and missed the exit point.
Michael Schumacher was bad for F1... BADLY missed the exit point with his comeback.
Mike Tyson was bad for boxing... he definitely was and missed the exit point SEVERAL times! But then, Boxing is bad for Boxing...
So when is your Exit point
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Quote:
+100!

In my eyes, he's somewhat of a quitter now... I am sure the Italian fans will not look upon it so favorably either. I partially buy his argument that "they would just not listen" but with the ray of light (Volkswagen) on the horizon, he should have stuck with it.

But, as I said before, it's about the limelight, nothing else...

I think your Dead wrong,
1150 cylinders 12:1 pistons/ race cams, Lennies induct, Laser Boxercup II Exhaust, Ohlins shocks, Dymag Carbon Fiber Five Spoke wheels, Crossover tube removed, heads ported and polished Bigger valves installed intake and exhaust! SJ power filter, motoyoyo clamps , HID
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Tom, you can think whatever you want... it's not going to change a thing.

As for my exit point... have not reached the top of my game yet... which can not be said for others.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Quote:

Not sure who was at the race or might have saw the coverage but...at Laguna Seca with about 6 laps left, Rossi tucked the front end of the Duc at the top of the carousal. What many might not have see was after the race ended and the riders were taking their parade lap, Nikki stopped at the top of the carousal, Vallie ran out from behind the barrier, jumped on the back of Nikki's bike and they both rode down the carousal like two gay hero's into the sunset. It was sooooo cool!!!!! I was right there and we all (the crowd) went nuts. When I grow up I want to be like Nikki, that kid has class.
Valentino Rossi gets a lift from team-mate Nicky Hayden - YouTube

It's called "The Corkscrew", btw.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
we all have opinions and own them.

but what if you're rossi and your opinion is:

#1. I don't care who buys Ducati, I don't believe they can make the changes I need within the timeframe I have set for myself.

#2. I am better than Lorenzo, especially with near-identical bikes.

if you come from that perspective, then the move makes a lot of sense.
i don't think he's in it for the glory, not when there's still good money to be made.

as far as second fiddle, i'd imagine that YMC is going be exceptionally aware of the equipment offered to both riders. i doubt they'd take any chances of giving one guy something over the other, before discussing with both. YMC knows how to run in total CYA mode, so there can't be any justifiable bickering or finger pointing in regards to machinery advantages.

either way i'ts gonna be fun to watch it unfold.
makes me want to go to costco for a pallet of popcorn.

Last edited by bradzdotcom; 08-11-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Misfit

Quote:
Yessir... and I take Lorenzo!
OK, it's on.

So there's no misunderstanding, if neither of them win the championship, higher man in the standings wins? Right?

And no injury contingencies - this is straight-up: whoever is higher in the series points at the end of the season is the winner.

All good?

N.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Rather than reply to excentric waffle,we already have a Pom Pom waver on here as it is!!
Resorting to insulting commentary are we? Sorry I should have known better than to ask you a semi-complex, theoretical question after reading your prior comments. Maybe you should stick to the “yeah...what he said!” rebuttals?
2001 540iA/Sport
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Quote:
No offense but, I think you missed the question before answering. The question; was / is "insert athlete" bad for the sport? This was in regard to weather they had become too popular for the sport, not should they have retired earlier. We all have 20/20 hind site at this point so to play Monday morning quarter back makes it a little too easy to say when they should have given their last performance, don't you think? But, I'll play along so, to your point I think exceptional athletes achieve great feats because they don't give in when regular people might. As to weather you or I think it is past an embarrassing level is a matter of taste. Personally I don't think Michael Jordan or any of the others have too much to be ashamed of. They gave it their all and if they went past their prime they were still better at their worst then most were at their best.
2001 540iA/Sport
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Misfit

Quote:

I was at the GP at Laguna Seca in 2005, and after Nicky won the race he went and got his dad and took his dad on a parade lap of the circuit, and that was an awesome moment too. He does have heart and class - I am a big fan of Nicky.

N.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
I was at the GP at Laguna Seca in 2005, and after Nicky won the race he went and got his dad and took his dad on a parade lap of the circuit, and that was an awesome moment too. He does have heart and class - I am a big fan of Nicky.

N.
I've seen pic's of that...very cool to have been there. I wondered how he stood up on the back axel / swing arm. I know...trivial

We did the parade lap and it was so cool to actually ride on the track!
2001 540iA/Sport
Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Quote:

N.
E'rrrr that was 7 years ago,I watched it to it was great,but that was then and this now,the game has moved on,did you watch Mugello and how easily he got mugged on the last lap,that wouldn't of happened all those years ago,although to give the lad his due,will be interesting to see how he handles himself without Rossi around,Rossi is a chemical suppressant.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)
Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: