Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
unsafe at any speed

forget the bike.. bring the jeep!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Day 13-Pass Crk to Boise Narrows, ID 273 miles

The day started out right with a little fire at our greatest campsite for Ralf to warm his leftover pizza-

Even without the sunset lighting it was a pretty place-

On the east side of the pass it was back to desert. We ran 60-80MPH on this stretch-

We headed north up the Pahsimeroi Valley to catch Double Spring Rd. back over the Lost River Range-

Ralf with Miss Piggy on Double Springs Rd. catching up, throwing rocks and heading west-

Old 09-22-2017, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Day 13 continued-

A short drive south on ID 93 puts you on Trail Ridge Rd. to Ketchum, ID-

Ketchum was jammed with people and we couldn't wait to leave. The goal for the day was Atlanta, ID using Warm Springs Rd from Ketchum. Unfortunately rain would hit three times in 50 miles-

At one point we caught up with a cattle drive and had to trail along for half an hour dodging the pies. Then we found our road closed and had to detour south to Fairfield, ID-

A clerk in Fairfield informed us 30,000 people were descending on the area for a country music festival so we skipped Atlanta and beat feet for the Boise Narrows-

We had trouble finding a campsite on the reservoir, a drunken redneck in a pickup tried to kill Ralf and the site we found was full on ants-

We decide to head down river but Ralf hit a personal low spot and was slumped over his bike so he waited while I scouted ahead. Luckily three miles later there was a nice little site on the river that would be home for the night-

The good thing about having a friend along is they can help you through a tough spot. Two years ago it was Ralf helping me with a tire that would not hold air after 6 plugs and two cans of Fix-a-flat. That really got me down. He took over navigation and found us a campsite.

The bikes could use a bath at this point-

Last edited by RBMann; 11-17-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 09-22-2017, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Love the story and images. I might be the only one to think this, but Ralf has got a bit of the BradZ look going there with the hair. Looking forward to more.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Brad was a good friend, Kevin... and I'd be honored to be compared to him in any way, shape or form... but the hair is gone again. The trip was an eye opener as to how much work it is, to have it long.

As for the low spot, constant discomfort (i.e. pain) and the fact that some drunk rednecks tried to take me out (willing or not), paired with the lack of decent campsites made for a rather disheartening experience for me...

But Rick was a trooper, he took my *****ing in stride and found a good spot to call home. Thank you kindly, sir! He also missed out on telling the part where it started to rain as we were going from Sun Valley over the pass to the other side and ran into the cattle.

Also, we found ourselves on a road that had been washed away and repaired in a way where I would have felt uncomfortable on it on a dirt bike. We made it through, though.

Back to the rain... I did not have my glasses at the ready and thus, couldn't open the combination lock to my saddle bag with my rain gear in time. So I decided to just "ride through it". What looked liked a short shower, turned into a long torrent. The upside? My clothes were washed... while I was wearing them...

A long hour and a few near wipeouts later, we made it back to sun and warmth and two hours after that, it was all forgotten.

The pictures do not do it justice, really... no matter how hard we may try. It was stunning.
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Ralf, I obviously get the sticker for Germany, but was surprised by the symmetrically placed sticker for Japan. Just chance?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Ask Rick... it's his bike!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signit98 View Post
Ask Rick... it's his bike!
Oops!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Ralf had cool hair.
The crazy gray wild look.

I figured it went with the coffee shop and to impress young hot chicks...
Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Hardly, Craig... it went because it was annoying!

OK, a few more impressions... before I played with the kids on the railing, I enjoyed this view:

This is right after we left our perfect camp spot...

Also, this happened while searching for a camp spot in the Boise Narrows, along the lake... past the bike, by the rocks: LAKE... behind the bike (just where the bushes start) a ledge that led about 30' down to the lake, very steep... very unforgiving and where it ended, very wet.
Prominently in the picture: 730 pounds of motorcycle, maneuvered into a "tight" spot skillfully by yours truly... Had to wait for Ricky to carefully rock it back and forth until I had enough room to ride it out again.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Ralf-

I had forgotten about that plowed up section. The good part was it put an end to any more cars on the road. That road was one of my routing failures. On my maps, Basecamp and Google Earth it looked like a nice drive along a river with lots of camping but I hardly saw the river at all. The rain and plowing didn't help. It really dumped on us right outside Ketchum and the rain suit was on and off three times in 50 miles/3 hrs. It was warm enough I would start sweating the minute it stopped raining. When we got past the cattle drive I thought we only had about five miles to go to pavement but a sign at the road junction said 23 miles to Fairfield.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lyon View Post
Ralf, I obviously get the sticker for Germany, but was surprised by the symmetrically placed sticker for Japan. Just chance?
My wife bought the 650 and used it for three years until I took it over. She put those decals on as a mirror image of my S. She is half Japanese and I am mostly German. We have traveled in both countries.

I was really sad that my Mt. Fuji reflector below the license plate got lost on this trip.

Last edited by RBMann; 09-23-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Old 09-23-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Ralf, that little stream of water under your bike might have been ****e Creek without two of us to push around Miss Piggy.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
Ralf, that little stream of water under your bike might have been ****e Creek without two of us to push around Miss Piggy.
That picture, my friend, is one of the reasons I picked up the DR650!

I am just simply getting to old to push that pig around.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoore View Post
Love the story and images. I might be the only one to think this, but Ralf has got a bit of the BradZ look going there with the hair. Looking forward to more.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw him in Paonia at the rally.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Day 14-Narrows to Copperfield CG, OR 278 miles

In the morning, my trusty man-servant, Ralfie, returns from washing the tea dishes-

Dawn breaks bright and clear in the Boise Narrows. Last time I was here I went north from Prairie, ID. This year after breakfast in Prairie, we headed NW back into and along more of the Narrows. Very pleasing vistas all along this road while driving beside the river, on the rim climbing out for breakfast, cruising on a level bench half way up, descending to a bridge crossing or climbing back out again-

As we approached Boise we were on the Oregon Trail for a few miles before heading north on ID 21 to Idaho City and Lowman-

We went up to Lowman because last time we were there it was raining and nasty but seemed like it would be a fun road when dry. Well no pics as it was trying to rain again. It is indeed a fun road.

West to ID 55 and Sucksville. As we rode toward McCall, ID the traffic was bad. Spent an hour passing cars, trucks and horestrailers without every finding any open road. Took a break in Cascade, ID as frustration was setting in for both of us. Oddly enough I had an alternative route in the GPS over to Indian Valley and beyond to Hells Canyon. I had planned on going along the Snake R. to Lewiston but the traffic was too much.

Unfortunately the forest road from Cascade to Indian Valley was covered with fresh deep gravel for the first 15 of 40 miles as you go up the pass. On the west side it was just dusty driving by the Little Weiser River. By the time we got to Cambridge, ID both my shoulders were hurting from sawing the handle bars back and forth, even though I had my Cortisone right before I left home. Also we needed supplies as Ralf had lost his lunch again along the river. We needed cold drinks too as it was hot. No pics, it was not fun. Found out there was a rodeo in McCall and some country fairs too.

One of those days that was up-down-up. Always good to end on an up at the Copperfield CG on the OR side of the Snake River. Ralf and I have both stayed here before. Nice grass, river swimming, showers and a $0.50 12oz. Pepsi machine across the street at the church. Not too bad-

Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Getting up and out of the tent is a task...

I think he was stretching.

I did do the B/W thing again.

I shall not be said that we did not have fun...

Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

The fun part is that we closed a couple of loops for me. Copperfield is the campground where I rested on my way up to AK, except when I got there, it was through snow from Halfway, I think.

When I got to Copperfield CG, it at least had turned into rain and the hot showers were a VERY welcome bonus for me that night.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Okay, you couldn't resist playing the tent card. People in glass houses or is that mesh? Oh look, he is almost upright, maybe another ten minutes.

Earlier you said 'What happens in the tent stays in the tent'. What that means is old guys get in then have a hell of a time getting back out.

However, I do like your B/W barn pic and I need to be more creative.

And fun, yes the last hour to Copperfield and then most of day 15 was fun. I'll work on that right now.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Day 15-Copperfield to Lyons Ferry, WA 254 miles

We had some fun getting to Enterprise, OR for lunch on the Wallowa Mountain Loop Hwy. FS 39. Then it was up OR 3 and down the south side of Rattlesnake Canyon to the Grande Ronde River-

After crossing the Grande Ronde it was up the north side of Rattlesnake Canyon to WA 129-

Then the road drops down to Asotin, WA-

In Clarkston/Lewiston it was hot again but that didn't stop us going to play on the Spiral Hwy.-

The state park at Lyons Ferry was closed, bummer! So we used the KOA across the Snake River. Okay, sort of, as the wind changed in the evening and we would get wiffs of sewer gas. They did have a store and restaurant but the menu was limited-

Speaking of fun, I was walking around the store checking their stock. Oh my, what could this be? I called Ralf over to help me figure it out-

Poor man completely lost it with uncontrollable laughter. I mean everyone is looking at us so I grab his arm and get him outside which was difficult since he was still doubled over laughing. Once outside, after a couple minutes he catches his breath and we head up the stairs to our campsite. While climbing the steps I mention it might be the ultimate garden's tool and he losses it again only now the whole campground is looking at us. The things you have to endure for friendship.

As I write this my wife just came home from the store. Not only did she let me steal her motorcycle six years ago, she brought me a snack. I am a lucky man-

Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: