Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
People who fly frequently likely have numbness when it comes to human respect and decency.
Or they need to work.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
I'm a flight crew member and don't even have to go through normal security screening at most airports but I got randomly pulled out of line last week for a pat down etc.. And you know what? No issues or problems.. They went through my bag and patted me down etc, but I did what they said and everything went smoothly. Flying is a privilege, not a right.. I'd happily be ok with more "invasive" searches, or heck, have everyone go through the screeners naked if thats what it takes to be safe!

Are you the dude who shows us how to put on a seat belt?

I kid.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
If they are not Investigative or Law Enforcement officers, that should mean they lack the power to arrest.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
well that sucks.

and too bad most of the cool foreign countries to visit are on the other end of a plane ride.
I would like to see N.Y. and revisit Boston, D.C., and a bunch of other east coast sites. I know many of you are fans of long road trips... as for me I won't burn 4 or 6 days of vacation driving coast to coast.

As other frequent flyers have said, if you play by the rules it is easy peasy. Are some of the rules silly and or stupid? Yes, but that is life.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

My issue is that "the rules" of flying violate my civil rights (I can be searched without a warrant, I am denied due process, as examples) and I have no recourse when they are abused. I wonder why anyone voluntarily puts themselves in that situation.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

FlyClear - The Registered Traveler Pilot Program
Limited availability but if you fly from any one of the listed airports, its worth every penny. Left SFO the other day, the pre-check line was 30min at term 2. Finger print scan, front of the line 5 min tops through the check point.
"69 912 white w/ '86 3.2L (like the pic, just not the pic)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
My issue is that "the rules" of flying violate my civil rights (I can be searched without a warrant, I am denied due process, as examples) and I have no recourse when they are abused. I wonder why anyone voluntarily puts themselves in that situation.
Flying isn’t a right, it’s a privilege. Don’t like the rules? Don’t fly. It’s pretty simple. Most of the examples of “abuse” on this thread are actually ignorance.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
That is fuched up thinking. Wow! You should not own guns. Unabomber 2, coming soon.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I haven't flown in decades. For me, it's about having no trust.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 07-11-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Information Junky

Nope. Nothing about TSA agents. I guess it's all good.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I have flown hundreds, if not thousands, of times over about a 50 year span. I've never had an issue, I couldn't care less about what rights I do or don't have, it's the safest way to get from point A to point B and usually worth every penny.

Those of you that don't like to fly, by all means stay home. More armrest room for me...
Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Count me as another one who flies regularly and has never had an issue w TSA. What's the big deal about going through a metal detector and emptying your pockets before entering the part of the airport w the gates?

Sure, I miss the "good old days" when the whole family was waiting at the gate for you when you stepped off a plane but come on, it's not 1987 anymore. Too bad. I find flying in general to be not bad at all. You don't get the extras on some flights for free anymore but it's the only way to get around the country or the world quickly. I take road trips as well but the time difference is massive.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
We fly fairly often and I accept that the TSA gauntlet is just one layer we must endure that keeps a flight safer. Agents are low paid govt employees so not the most effective, but it is better than nothing. I have waited in long lines and had my backpack reinspected because it is usually full of camera gear, but the deed gets done, I make my flight, and no one was strip searched in the process. Plenty of stuff ruffles my feathers worse than the TSA.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Flying isnít a right, itís a privilege. Donít like the rules? Donít fly. Itís pretty simple. Most of the examples of ďabuseĒ on this thread are actually ignorance.
I'll take that deal. Very grateful to have a life situation where there is nowhere I need or want to be badly enough to encase myself in an aluminum tube with hundreds of strangers and be hurtled through space.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Land of Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Last month the TSA guy at John Wayne airport said I didn't have to take my shoes to go through the scanner.

A few days later in Albuquerque I was severely scolded for not taking my shoes off before going through the scanner.
Resulted in taking me out of line for a full wand and pat down.

I'm thinking they make this crap up as they go along.
this times a billion!! some TSA have an issue with chapstik in my pocket some don't... its on me to navigate the crazy.

- what's next?
- 1988 Carerra 3.2 Coupe Marine Blue ( SOLD)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

For $80 (good for 5years) you can bypass the majority of this stuff. Precheck lines that I saw in June (took 4 flight) were all vastly smaller than the regular security line.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
I never go through the scanners and I never get patted down. Without fail, it's a stroll through the metal detector, then off to grab my bags from the xray line.

_
Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
I haven't flown in decades. For me, it's about having no trust.
I haven't been on a plane since Nov 2007. I hate flying, but will have to later this year. I told the gf I'll bring her back from Korea after her surgery. Dreading it.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Information Junky

Just take the train.

So Ayles, TSA Precheck is only $80 for 5 years?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Information Junky

I checked:

85$ (cheap)

background check

finger printing --Land of the free Home of the brave

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: