Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 55,161
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakthor View Post
I love this sort of stuff... Great example of how science works. Got unexplained phenomenon, how do we proceed?

Similar to flat earth and fake lunar landings... We can shoot for the sky and turn everything upside down, giant govt conspiracies 'n secret labs. Theres lots of valid hypothesis. Until theres more facts in this case you get to pick from a myriad of explanations.

I figure all thinking people are hoping this is aliens or some new physics, who wouldnt want new coolness to expand human knowledge?

My gut says its something minor but my fingers are crossed.

Whats tragic though is when people start acting like the crazy theories are real. Ive spent time with lunar landing deniers and man their world models are a disjointed mess.
Yea, Occam's Razor is the first thing to apply.

There is little doubt that somewhere out in the giant universe is intelligence that have been around for over a million years. Humans are maybe 35,000 years old and technology really happened in the last few hundred.

From the first powered airplane to fly to men walking on the moon was just 66 years.


I took this picture of the display right here in Oklahoma.

The challenge and energy needed to travel interstellar distances is simply vast. I have no idea what those objects were. Hopefully it was some gizmos developed at Area 51. We know now the SR71 and Stealth bomber and fighter were the cause of many "UFO" sightings back in the era they were developed.

Before the movie Close Encounters of the Third kind was made, extraterrestrial beings were described as looking different. Now almost everyone says they are little grey naked dudes with giant heads and big eyes.
__________________
Glen
43 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste
 
tabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Out there somewhere beyond the doors of perception
Posts: 45,365
Betty and Barney Hill described them in 1962 as being Little Greys.

They were the first of the lost time alien abduction cases... where under hypnosis they were able to recover the memories of their experience. the book that recounted their story is "Interrupted Journey"

When leaving the UFO Betty asked one of the Greys about a star map that was being displayed, where the Grey answered those are places we visit and trade with. When recreating what she saw there was an UNKNOWN star at the time on the map that was discovered some 7 years later in 1969.


As a kid in the mid 60's I remember seeing the Hills on a talk show recounting their experiences... Further my Shrink friend as a Phd candidate graduate advisor had a student working on a Phd on Alien abduction cases....His only comment was that, "Something did happen to those people."
__________________
Copyright

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 10-08-2019, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 55,161
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
Betty and Barney Hill described them in 1962 as being Little Greys.

They were the first of the lost time alien abduction cases... where under hypnosis they were able to recover the memories of their experience. the book that recounted their story is "Interrupted Journey"

When leaving the UFO Betty asked one of the Greys about a star map that was being displayed, where the Grey answered those are places we visit and trade with. When recreating what she saw there was an UNKNOWN star at the time on the map that was discovered some 7 years later in 1969.


As a kid in the mid 60's I remember seeing the Hills on a talk show recounting their experiences... Further my Shrink friend as a Phd candidate graduate advisor had a student working on a Phd on Alien abduction cases....His only comment was that, "Something did happen to those people."
Look up their articles:

The men stood about five feet to five feet four inches tall, and wore matching blue uniforms, with caps similar to those worn by military cadets. They appeared nearly human, with black hair, dark eyes, prominent noses and bluish lips. Their skin was a greyish colour.[19]

OK, they have ashen skin, lots of humans do to. That is a LONG long way from the clip below.

A long way from this:



Now almost all of the extraterrestrials are described like the critters in the movie.
__________________
Glen
43 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Captain Ahab Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England and Slovenia
Posts: 1,506
Garage
very interesting, watched the whole thing, the hipster looking dude didn't bring anything to the subject

Cmdr. David Fravor came across as very credible, must be more out there like him and Seahawk with eye witness stories to tell
__________________
1988 Toyota 4Runner Gen1
1989 Porsche 930
1990 Porsche 964
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste
 
tabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Out there somewhere beyond the doors of perception
Posts: 45,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Look up their articles:

The men stood about five feet to five feet four inches tall, and wore matching blue uniforms, with caps similar to those worn by military cadets. They appeared nearly human, with black hair, dark eyes, prominent noses and bluish lips. Their skin was a greyish colour.[19]

OK, they have ashen skin, lots of humans do to. That is a LONG long way from the clip below.

A long way from this:



Now almost all of the extraterrestrials are described like the critters in the movie.
Barney described beings wearing shiny black uniforms with spindly legs, a bulky torso and cat-like eyes...Concord Monitor

https://www.concordmonitor.com/In-Lincoln-a-UFO-story-that-is-out-of-this-world-15987667

So we have lots of versions of what the Hills saw. As evidenced above.

In the book there is a drawing made by one of the Hills. Which is the basic Little grey version.

Of course the pix you show is Hollywoods rendition.

Maybe you have "spindly legs" so that would not seem abnormal to you.
__________________
Copyright

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 55,161
Garage
Did you see his wife's description as they were "almost human" so the both see the same thing and come up with totally different descriptions. Like they just made it all up.

The galaxy is just a really big place. Let's assume that today I discover the Star Trek wap drive secret, and give the world full warp drive up to warp 9.9 like the movies and TV show. It is pitifully slow for this big solar system, much less the galaxy.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/star-trek-warp-light-speed-reality-travel-nasa-animation-2019-1/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2cjvcbBIc3DEx7aidT6DNCkPuHwbIG7JBvVmqgO VY3EHTZWR4aJ-tKj2k#Echobox=1570500042
__________________
Glen
43 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
 
Home of the Whopper
 
BK911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rocky Top, TN
Posts: 5,301
Garage
Only issue I have with the "little greys" is I'm guessing evolved humans will look more like those in wall-e due to more conveniences and laziness. I'm assuming other intelligent societies will evolve similarly.
__________________
'71 911E Targa rustbucket
Old 10-09-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Evil Genius
 
Rusty Heap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On top of my BBQ
Posts: 3,601
Garage
we are still cavemen when it comes to Technology and Physics.



Many things out there, we just can't fathom.


only just over 100 years ago, still hadn't figured out if we should use AC or DC for our nations power grid. We still used ICE boxes as refridgeration.


your Phone vs the Lunar landing processors?

To put that into more concrete terms, the latest phones typically have 4GB of RAM. That is 34,359,738,368 bits. This is more than one million (1,048,576 to be exact) times more memory than the Apollo computer had in RAM. The iPhone also has up to 512GB of ROM memory. That is 4,398,046,511,104 bits, which is more seven million times more than that of the guidance computer.

But memory isn’t the only thing that matters. The Apollo 11 computer had a processor – an electronic circuit that performs operations on external data sources – which ran at 0.043 MHz. The latest iPhone’s processor is estimated to run at about 2490 MHz. Apple do not advertise the processing speed, but others have calculated it. This means that the iPhone in your pocket has over 100,000 times the processing power of the computer that landed man on the moon 50 years ago.
__________________
Life is a big ocean to swim in.

Wag more, bark less.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 55,161
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Heap View Post
we are still cavemen when it comes to Technology and Physics.



Many things out there, we just can't fathom.


only just over 100 years ago, still hadn't figured out if we should use AC or DC for our nations power grid. We still used ICE boxes as refridgeration.


your Phone vs the Lunar landing processors?

To put that into more concrete terms, the latest phones typically have 4GB of RAM. That is 34,359,738,368 bits. This is more than one million (1,048,576 to be exact) times more memory than the Apollo computer had in RAM. The iPhone also has up to 512GB of ROM memory. That is 4,398,046,511,104 bits, which is more seven million times more than that of the guidance computer.

But memory isn’t the only thing that matters. The Apollo 11 computer had a processor – an electronic circuit that performs operations on external data sources – which ran at 0.043 MHz. The latest iPhone’s processor is estimated to run at about 2490 MHz. Apple do not advertise the processing speed, but others have calculated it. This means that the iPhone in your pocket has over 100,000 times the processing power of the computer that landed man on the moon 50 years ago.
I still use my old iPhone 6S. It has 128Gig of RAM. I am still amazed at that. When I finally do upgrade I will get a new iPhone with at least 512 Gig.

The Apollo computer was the first computer to use direct input from the user to do different tasks.

The Inertial measurement unit, or IMU is how they kept track of where they were. It was the size of a small fridge. You have a IMU in your smart phone the size of a pin head. It lets the phone know when you move it up to your head to turn off the display, and is used to calculate you movement and how far you walked.
__________________
Glen
43 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
IROC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 10,686
Garage
I used to be hard core into all this stuff. Especially the alien abduction stuff, lost-time events, etc. Probably started when my Dad took me to see "Chariots of the Gods" in the '70s...

After a while though, it become like Bigfoot sightings. Years and years of sightings and stories from "credible" witnesses, etc., but in the end...no evidence that any of it is true. None. I am also fundamentally skeptical that an organization as inept as our government could keep something like this a "secret" for decades.

So...I became "agnostic" when it comes to this stuff. I want to believe very badly but I just can't until somebody comes forward with some actual evidence. Was it Sagan who said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"?

Still waiting on some extraordinary evidence...

Until then, I'll watch the Joe Rogan video...
__________________
Mike
1976 Euro 911
3.2 w/10.3 compression & SSIs
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 55,161
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
I used to be hard core into all this stuff. Especially the alien abduction stuff, lost-time events, etc. Probably started when my Dad took me to see "Chariots of the Gods" in the '70s...

After a while though, it become like Bigfoot sightings. Years and years of sightings and stories from "credible" witnesses, etc., but in the end...no evidence that any of it is true. None. I am also fundamentally skeptical that an organization as inept as our government could keep something like this a "secret" for decades.

So...I became "agnostic" when it comes to this stuff. I want to believe very badly but I just can't until somebody comes forward with some actual evidence. Was it Sagan who said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"?

Still waiting on some extraordinary evidence...

Until then, I'll watch the Joe Rogan video...
That is what I feel as well. I wish there was even a tiny scintilla of real evidence. Not one speck of evidence exists. Then the reality of the mind boggling size of the universe we live in just makes it very very unlikely that we will ever have proof of extraterrestrials, much less communicate with them or have them visit us.
__________________
Glen
43 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston (Clearlake), TX
Posts: 9,021
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74-911 View Post
Some food for thought:

The Fermi Paradox: Where the Hell Are the Other Earths?

https://gizmodo.com/the-fermi-paradox-where-the-hell-are-the-other-earths-1580345495/+ashleyfeinberg
This is one of my favorite reads on the subject (along with many other topics covered at www.waitbutwhy.com )
__________________
2014 Cayman S
2011 Cayenne Turbo
1979 930 (475 rwhp at 0.95 bar)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
 
Groucho Marxist
 
Tobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 34,649
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
I want to believe very badly
Why do you want to believe?
__________________
When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years

Mark Twain
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered User
 
IROC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 10,686
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Why do you want to believe?
Because it would be so cool!! Intelligent life from somewhere else!! What does that life look like? Is it carbon-based? How do they travel? They're obviously more advanced than us - what can they teach us? What technology do they have?

I think it would be awesome.

I think it is naive and presumptuous of humans to believe that we are the only life in this whole vast universe. The statistics/probabilities alone dictate that the chances of life out there are very favorable. We simply don't know. I think this subject is the perfect use of the term "agnostic". We simply don't know and can't know whether other life exists.

Even if the chances are favorable for life elsewhere, that doesn't mean that they are visiting Earth. No evidence of that at all. Just because people see or experience something they can't explain - jumping to the conclusion that it must be aliens from another planet is irrational.
__________________
Mike
1976 Euro 911
3.2 w/10.3 compression & SSIs
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SW Cheese Country
Posts: 9,245
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
The Foo Fighters are named after WW2 objects which followed bomber aircraft, as reported.

There are folklore stories of "ball lightning" which came down chimneys, around a room, and back up again.

There are things well beyond our basic comprehension at this time, and might continue to be so into the distant future.
Electricity is still new to humans....

I've personally seen a falling 'meteor' streak across the sky and make a right hand turn back in the 1980's.
And again a fast moving 'satellite' which bounced around randomly (while the other stars stood still) in the 2000's.
No substances involved in both events.
A couple summers ago my daughter, brother in law and myself saw a satellite doing S turns in the sky.
__________________
Brent
The X15 was the only aircraft I flew where I was glad the engine quit. - Milt Thompson.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years
 
Seahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
This is one of my favorite reads on the subject (along with many other topics covered at www.waitbutwhy.com )
As you might imagine, after my cruise in '87 when I saw what I saw, I became a bit more curious on the subject. I know the Fermi Paradox inside and out and find it stretches the limits of what we know to be true, and I am very comfortable acknowledging that fact.

I am constantly amused, however (and not in a funny, ha-ha way, or scornful way), of those that know what they know sitting on the third rock from an unremarkable Sun in a bad neighborhood.

I kid, sort of.

What we know, our ability to measure, is limited. Remember Hubble? It completely changed our view of the Cosmos - and it was launched in 1990.

https://www.space.com/29157-hubble-space-telescope-science-legacy.html

I saw what I saw, spent almost ten minutes in situ trying to capture all the "whys and hows" that were coursing through my brain.

I have written this many times before: the reason I kept mum about the whole affair (we all did) is clear from the the arc of all discussions on UFO sightings, and why I won't go on record beyond this: sooner or later the observers motives and stability are called into question.
__________________
Paul
1996 FJ80

Last edited by Seahawk; 10-09-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Burn the fire.
 
Brando's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 6,042
Garage
I would wager that we just aren't capable of detecting other intelligent life out there. Insert witty remark about intelligent life on this rock.
__________________
[x] Working | [_] Broken: 2017 Victory Octane
[x] Working | [_] Broken: 2005 Ram 1500 SLT w/5.7L Hemi

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist
 
Tobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 34,649
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
Because it would be so cool!! Intelligent life from somewhere else!! What does that life look like? Is it carbon-based? How do they travel? They're obviously more advanced than us - what can they teach us? What technology do they have?

I think it would be awesome.

I think it is naive and presumptuous of humans to believe that we are the only life in this whole vast universe. The statistics/probabilities alone dictate that the chances of life out there are very favorable. We simply don't know. I think this subject is the perfect use of the term "agnostic". We simply don't know and can't know whether other life exists.

Even if the chances are favorable for life elsewhere, that doesn't mean that they are visiting Earth. No evidence of that at all. Just because people see or experience something they can't explain - jumping to the conclusion that it must be aliens from another planet is irrational.
I find this very interesting and not entirely consistent with what I understand your religious beliefs to be.
__________________
When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years

Mark Twain
Old 10-09-2019, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered User
 
IROC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 10,686
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
I find this very interesting and not entirely consistent with what I understand your religious beliefs to be.
I don‘t see an inconsistency at all. The existence of life elsewhere in the Universe is probable. I can‘t say the same for religious deities. I‘ll leave it at that in OT.
__________________
Mike
1976 Euro 911
3.2 w/10.3 compression & SSIs
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 10-09-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Captain Ahab Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England and Slovenia
Posts: 1,506
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
As you might imagine, after my cruise in '87 when I saw what I saw, I became a bit more curious on the subject. I know the Fermi Paradox inside and out and find it stretches the limits of what we know to be true, and I am very comfortable acknowledging that fact.

I am constantly amused, however (and not in a funny, ha-ha way, or scornful way), of those that know what they know sitting on the third rock from an unremarkable Sun in a bad neighborhood.

I kid, sort of.

What we know, our ability to measure, is limited. Remember Hubble? It completely changed our view of the Cosmos - and it was launched in 1990.

https://www.space.com/29157-hubble-space-telescope-science-legacy.html

I saw what I saw, spent almost ten minutes in situ trying to capture all the "whys and hows" that were coursing through my brain.

I have written this many times before: the reason I kept mum about the whole affair (we all did) is clear from the the arc of all discussions on UFO sightings, and why I won't go on record beyond this: sooner or later the observers motives and stability are called into question.
I'd like to sit down with you one day and hear this over a beer and pizza

Think my beer would go warm and my pizza cold
__________________
1988 Toyota 4Runner Gen1
1989 Porsche 930
1990 Porsche 964
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 10-09-2019, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:12 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.