Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Trying something new for t-day meal. Weber grill standing rib roast

I知 gonna punt for the big meal. My oven is gonna be too busy to cook the rib roast. I知 gonna risk doing it in my grill. Add a hunk of apple wood to kiss it with smoke. The timing is the wildcard. I値l guess 2 hours.

Anyone do this? Hate to screw up such a costly hunk of meat.

I知 gonna buy my Christmas meal. :)

Old 11-22-2020, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

My BIL gave me a very nice gift last year. It痴 a MEATER wireless thermometer.

It connects to a phone app and monitors internal and ambient temp and extrapolates cook time.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Done prime on the grill rotisserie style several times. Love apple wood for the smoke too! I'd think indirect with smoke would end up the same.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Put the coals on one side, and the meat on the other. A wireless thermometer makes it easy. I would only cook the roast to an internal temp of 95 to 98 degrees internal temp. Don't be concerned with time, internal temp is what matters. Take it off the grill and cover in tin foil. The roast needs to rest for an hour before you serve. The internal temp will continue to go up for the hour after you pull it off the grill. 98 degrees will end up a rare to med rare final temp. Liberally salt it at least 30 minutes before it goes on the grill, pepper just before it hits the grill.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Sous Vide the thing... char it on the grill
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 11-22-2020, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
We did something’s sorta similar this year.

We did prime rib, potatoes, beets, and carrots. Everything was grown on our land.

No company this year but a true thanksgiving.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 11-22-2020, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

not as smart as I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Sous Vide the thing... char it on the grill
Only do this if you want it fork tender!

I smoked a Prime Rib roast today...keeping the grill at 225-240 was done in about 2 hours. Smoking quality meat that only needs to get to 120-130 means that it does not take too long

The MEATER as mentioned above, great tool. I totally recommend it.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

How does the MEATER works? Does it go in the oven with the meat as it cooks? I know nothing about cooking. Burn the house down boiling water kinda guy but love to eat
Old 11-22-2020, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
I do them on the BGE fairly often.
Indirect heat.
225 to 250 deg F.
Pull the diffuser when you are within 20 F deg of your finish temperature and crank the heat and reverse sear.
Rest for 15-20 minutes.
Yum.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Can稚 sAy enough about BLE thermometers! Mine has 4 probes so I can cook 4 different steaks, works great, alarms when gets to temp and you see progress throughout. App on the phone plus the sensor has a display and alarm.

Perfect for brisket on the smoker too.

Mine is a Napoleon Accu-probe.
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 11-22-2020, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
Can稚 sAy enough about BLE thermometers! Mine has 4 probes so I can cook 4 different steaks, works great, alarms when gets to temp and you see progress throughout. App on the phone plus the sensor has a display and alarm.

Perfect for brisket on the smoker too.

Mine is a Napoleon Accu-probe.
You can say too much. I'd say put a damn lid on it before the word gets out and rest of us have to do more than drink beer and tend the fire all day.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
You can say too much. I'd say put a damn lid on it before the word gets out and rest of us have to do more than drink beer and tend the fire all day.
Lol...
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Viegas View Post
Only do this if you want it fork tender!

I smoked a Prime Rib roast today...keeping the grill at 225-240 was done in about 2 hours. Smoking quality meat that only needs to get to 120-130 means that it does not take too long

The MEATER as mentioned above, great tool. I totally recommend it.
Depends on the amount of time spent and the temp the water bath is. Ours comes out tender, but not soft. You still need a knife to cut it and we finish it off in the smoker at a higher temp.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Quote:
How does the MEATER works? Does it go in the oven with the meat as it cooks?
Yes, and the temp is displayed on an app on a smartphone. Its a Bluetooth connection so the range is only around 50' If you have an extra smartphone(and old one) you can set up a cloud connection and monitor the temp from miles away..

Also you can reallygeek out with the app.. Meater shows the internal and ambient (oven) temp..

Its neat , you can see when I opened the oven door to rotate the chicken.

I noticed meater on Kickstarter when they were trying to launch and pledged for 5 to give to my brothers, and close friends as gifts
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno

Last edited by TimT; 11-23-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Old 11-23-2020, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I did this today. Sous Vide at 129..not sure how long it was in..3 or 4 hours.
The only way to go. The whole thing wouldn't fit in the water tub..had to do it with the bone sticking out the top.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
while i own a sousvide thing, i am not a sousvide person.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
I知 gonna punt for the big meal. My oven is gonna be too busy to cook the rib roast. I知 gonna risk doing it in my grill. Add a hunk of apple wood to kiss it with smoke. The timing is the wildcard. I値l guess 2 hours.

Anyone do this? Hate to screw up such a costly hunk of meat.

I知 gonna buy my Christmas meal. :)
Get a meat thermometer. Make sure grill has a thermometer. Keep grill around 250F. Use Cherry, not Apple. Cherry will infuse quicker. If it is a bone in, bones down.

About 2 hours, or until the middle is the temp you want.

MEATER is da bomb. I have the "four pack" WiFi version.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a lowly Thermoworks probe themometer. Boring but super accurate. I値l have to make the arduous walk from my couch the grill tho. It痴 not a smart-tool. I. Should consider some type of beer caddy to ease the laborious hike

Thanks you all. I do have Chinese food on speed dial.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Sounds awesome, I’m tired of the conventional turkey with stuffing for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Vash, if you get the Meater, get one of the ones with WiFi.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: