Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Unregistered

Caution, hijack in progress:

A source for the stories of Noah's flood
The catastrophic deluge that entered the Black Sea
(available at amazon.com)

Quotations
"The [Black Sea] flood is a fascinating story, all the better for being told by working scientists. What comes across clearly is the thrill of discovery....The mixture of disciplines and ways of doing science is exhilarating and paints a realistic picture of the way research works." Sue Bowler of the New Scientist.

"...an interesting and provocative story.... a detective story that rollicks along, sweeping up everything in its path..." Richard Ellis, The New York Times Book Review

"The Sumerian 'Deluge' story, the Akkakian 'Atrahasis' epic, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and Noah's Flood are 7000 year old echoes of this awesome event." A book reviewer from Arlington VA on the Amazon.com web site

Overview
Two senior scientists from Columbia University have proposed a theory that a massive transfer of water occurred about 5600 BCE - over seven and a half millennia ago. They wrote: "Ten cubic miles of water poured through each day, two hundred times what flows over Niagara Falls." "The Bosporus flume roared and surged at full spate for at least three hundred days." 60,000 square miles of land were inundated.
The Black Sea shoreline significantly expanded to the north and east. The lake's its water level was raised many hundreds of feet. It changed from a fresh-water landlocked lake into a salt water lake connected to the world's oceans.

They have drawn on the findings of experts in agriculture, archaeology, genetics, geology, language, development of textiles and pottery, etc. They postulate that this deluge had catastrophic effects on the people living on the shore of the Black Sea. It triggered mass migrations across Europe and into the Near East, Middle East and Egypt. It may have been the source of many flood stories in the area. Some researchers believe that the story of Noah's flood in the Biblical book of Genesis had its origin in this cataclysmic event.

A book by William Ryan and Walter Pitman describes one of the most fascinating scientific puzzles of recent years. We found it far more riveting than any detective novel.

Religious significance
About 300 cultures around the world have stories of a massive flood. Jews, Christians, muslims, ancient religions and writings (The Sumerian 'Deluge', the Akkakian 'Atrahasis', the Epic of Gilgamesh etc). in fact every piece of historical writing from that region and timeline that I have found includes a story of the great flood.

Now, are they all wrong and you are right?
Or maybe, just maybe there might be something to it?

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming .......

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
David, are you aware that there is a significant amount of evidence that Noah's flood did happen and happened right around the time the bible says it did?
The current scientific theories indicate it was not a global flood but covered nearly all of what is now the middle east, pretty much the known world at the time. I can probably dig up[ some links if you are interested.

They didn't even realize any of this until they started studying the region from satellites.

there are lots of folks out there who hate it when science actually agrees with the bible in some way.
And I thought Noah's flood had been debunked so thoroughly on ITAG and elsewhere that it couldn't possibly be resurrected. The delusional power of wishful and magical thinking is unlimited.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Quote:
David, are you aware that there is a significant amount of evidence that Noah's flood did happen and happened right around the time the bible says it did?
The current scientific theories indicate it was not a global flood but covered nearly all of what is now the middle east, pretty much the known world at the time. I can probably dig up[ some links if you are interested.

They didn't even realize any of this until they started studying the region from satellites.

there are lots of folks out there who hate it when science actually agrees with the bible in some way.
The main physical evidence for a major flood in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea is quite large. But all it supports is a possible source of the totally fantasy based myth in the bible. Science does not support the idea or "fact" that:

God did it.
It was a world wide flood.
It rained for 40 days and nights.
The water covered the highest mountains.
Noah built an ark.
Noah carried 2 of each animal on board.
Etc., etc., etc.

So, in short, science has not supported any of the tall tales found in the bible concerning the "Flood". So I corrected your closing statement for you.

"there are lots of folks out there who hate it when science actually dis-agrees with the bible in some way."
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Significant amount of evidence? Really? You obviously forgot the green text. Of course a small, local flood is not what the bible describes. There have been lots of small global floods. No one disputes that. The bible describes the story of a fallible tyrant who screwed up his lab experiment and killed off his creation to start over again. I don't see any evidence for that.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

That was no flood, that was Chuck Norris taking a leak.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoolenaar View Post
Is this a science thread or another "it's all guesses" thread from someone who believes 100% in Noah's flood
Itís an ďitís all guessesĒ thread. Everyone knows the LHC canít destroy the world, as we all know itís going to end in 2012 as predicted by the Mayan calendar.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPKESQ View Post
The main physical evidence for a major flood in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea is quite large. But all it supports is a possible source of the totally fantasy based myth in the bible. Science does not support the idea or "fact" that:
yada yada yada
BOOO!
I was just seeing if you would run away.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
JW Apostate

No, he's drawn to this stuff.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Quote:
BOOO!
I was just seeing if you would run away.
BS, you were pushing your opinion as fact.

Typical deflection due to faulty logic. rolleyes:

Interesting in one of the last battles between the US military and the French military, the French whipped your ass. Guess the running was all on your side that day.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkor View Post
No, he's drawn to this stuff.

KT
Do you mean repeatable evidence based fact? Yes of course I'm drawn to that. As would any intelligent person not suffering from delusions of an adult invisible freind.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Registered

Wink

What would he say?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post

What would he say?
"Maintaining beliefs in events or beings for which there is no evidence is illogical..."
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage

Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected. In this case, I should think "interesting" would suffice.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

"Evil" Spock says, "You're all going to die!"

http://starnes.com/
Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
dyslexics of the world untie!
I have had many intimate experiences with Hardon generators.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
JW Apostate

I wonder what time they fire it off?

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

06:06:06 Gmt
Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

Don't get too excited Trek.

http://starnes.com/
Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
got a bottle of scotch ready , and already scoped out where to go in the neighborhood for some good old, last minute, end of the world rapes and riots...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Seldom Seen Member

I know how it turns out. I read the book a few weeks ago: Blasphemy by Douglas Preston. http://www.prestonchild.com/solonovels/preston/blasphemy/

Got nachos?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: