Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraripete View Post
the calipers are waaaayyyyyy better than most upgrades sans the brembo big reds. the big reds may be marginally better. those bremteks are serious race quality parts!!! keep them!!!
No plans to sell the Bremteks unless of course someone want's to swap them for a Supertec Gen 2 twin plug distributor (2.7l) or an aluminium engine lid

Martin
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

If you want to sell them pm me with a price. I have a race car which could use a upgrade. Car is only used on the track.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Not sure who you were talking to but I will be selling my rears as soon as I get them disassembled.. overkill for a road car.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175K911 View Post
Martin, if you send me an email or PM with your address, I can send you a copy of the original Bremtek literature. I'd considered these brakes for my previous 911 back when the brakes were still on the market and still have the original literature.

And if you decide to sell them, put me in line first please.

Ed
Here ya go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-914-Bremtek-Race-Brake-Calipers-NEW_W0QQitemZ170348820304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRace_C ar_Parts?hash=item27a994b750&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1171
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-914-Bremtek-Race-Brake-Calipers-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a4Q7 c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a317Q7c293Q3a5Q7c294Q3a200QQ_trksidZ p3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27a994b667QQitemZ170348 820071QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts
Not my sale just found.
eric
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 07-03-2009 at 08:16 PM..
Old 07-03-2009, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I remember when Automechanica (sp) was selling these, they seemed to be virtually an exact reproduction of the Willwood Superlite 2 calipers. Aside from the pistons, which featured thicker walls, it was very hard to tell them apart. After a little research, one of the techs @ Wilwood confirmed they where supplying Superlite 2 calipers to Bremtek according to there specs. Where Bremtek had exclusivity, was with the rears; due to the mounting dimensions, there wasn't any off the shelf application that would fit. The Wilwood Superlite 2 caliper has evolved substantially since; the "3" had stiffening ribs, double bolt bridge, and complete heat shield treatment in the pad box. Today it's offered in billet and forged versions. The price back then was @ $105 per caliper.

Regards,
jp
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Here're a couple of pics of the Wilwood Forged Superlite on Carrera rotor:
Ps. the pad rattle was typical for the Wilwood/Bremtek caliper; that was eliminated on the next generation.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

How about billet mono-block Bremteks

This a picture of the 911SC rear on my 914.
I will get a picture of the 930 front next time I'm near the car.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Rufcar
Bremtek

I know this is an older post but all the needed info is here for others. I have those Bremteks on my 73 RS 3.4 Hot Rod. They were installed ca. 1990 and I believe the current pads have been on over 10 yrs or even many more. The car was raced for the 1st 10 and driven hard the 2nd 10. I have never had any rattles I do not track it but I do drive it very hard. Today I found that Porterfield will make pads for me in 2 different compounds. I know they need a little warm up time for street but I love them. I have had zero problems in over 30K hard miles. If Id find a back up set id problem buy them.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Any pics of them on the rear? Do you know what size pistons they have?

Regards,
jp
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Bremtek

Jp I have never had them off of the car, so I do not know the sizes. They appear exactly as the pics the upper previous posts.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Interesting old thread. I worked at Automechanika/Bremtek in the early 90's. By the time I started working there, the brakes were made in-house out of CNC machined billet aluminum. The fittings and lines I believe were from Wilwood, but everything else was made in house including the pistons. They looked like the latest picture above and were anodized black. I know the earlier ones were cast and I remember seeing some of the old cast ones laying around. We made a lot of flywheels that I think were also sold under the Bremtek name.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I was able to pick up a Bremtek flywheel a couple of yrs ago for cheap $$'s.

When I got the brakes I also purchased 2 set of pads. 1 of soft and 1 medium.
The pads are so thick I my 914 will turn to dust before the pads are gone.

The pistons measure about 1" on my SC rears. Don't know if the 930 fronts are the same.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Just found this old thread as I am researching Bremteks. I have an opportunity to buy a pair with pads with little use. The pads that come with the calipers are still very thick but my concern is to find replacement pads AND pads with the same compound for the rear (std. Carrera). The material they used back then is probably obsolete (asbestos?) and what is available now that fits these calipers and factory rear calipers?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
My 73 was built by Andail in 1990 and they used them often. I have my 73 3.4 hot rod 12 yrs and 35k mi and have never changed a pad they still work perfect and throw very little dust!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

These are great track rotors, especially if you run 15" rims. I've run them for years. Automechanika used to operate near Stuttgart West. What was George's last name?

He went through some trial and error. The first models did not have different piston sizes, so taper wear was a big issue, same as it was on the Wilwoods of that era. And he had troubles with the tubing connecting the two sides breaking or leaking, but by the time mine were made all that was resolved.

A couple of years ago I was having problems with mine. I buffed the pistons, and they look just fine.

I have a bunch of the seals, but saw no need to replace the original ones.

What was causing my problems was wear where the pad rests on the caliper as it moves in and out - at the bottom, which is where braking pushes the pad into the caliper. The aluminum was getting gouged. A machinist made some inserts, which pretty much solved that. I only had it done in the front, but probably should do something like this for the rears at some point.

I think Wilwoods nowadays come with a steel insert here - and maybe sell one for that purpose which could be adapted to the Bremtek.

It is very convenient that the pad matches a current Wilwood pad in terms of availability.

Those pictures of the cast Bremteks were the early models, as mine has the name inscribed on the machined pieces.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
If you guys are looking for brake upgrades start w/ the rotors

calipers can give varying amounts of torque to the rotors but the stock A or S & M have adequate torque, they do suffer from heat issues when used at track events, that's where oe brake setups using '78 up 930 size rotors shine.

All modern calipers have mechanisms to fully control the pad
thru 993 Brembos used ss plates like what Walt added to his

later monoblocks use a spring and locating pins

here's a 993tt/Rs Big Red and a 996tt Big Red

As Walt mentions you do want differential sized pistons , smaller leading, or taper wear becomes an issue

All things considered there are much better choices than Bremteks
Old 11-20-2016, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_gibson View Post
Some Bremtek info from one of the boxes that came with the car:

According to the advert, they claimed 40% or 200% more effective that 930 calipers depending on type and certainly weren't cheap for the late 80's - a real shame about the annoying rattles.

Martin
Just replaced those pesky photobucket links with Flickr.

Martin
Old 01-03-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_gibson View Post
It's a real shame there doesn't seem to be a fix for the caliper rattle coz once hot (on the track) the Bremtek calipers are superb, in fact I would go as far as saying I am a little underwhelmed with the replacement (albeit quiet) 930 calipers however I'll reserve judgement until I've sorted out the master cylinder.

Here's they are after I had them pulled

.......and impressive that they'll fit under a 15" Fuchs.

Martin
Re-linked

Martin
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: