Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
The Queen's Outlaw

Well my beautiful 912 R Outlaw arrived after a 3 month wait. During that period there was some vandalism and neglect. The car was left with the windows down in the rain, the wiring was shorted out, bumper cracked a little BUT I was able to get her started and so the adventure begins. What better car for me to learn on than a stripped down 1966 912 that has been modded into a 912R tribute/outlaw? The engine is a 914 4 cyl so I have plenty of room to see what I am working on. I will try to post my project as I learn to wire and wrench on this one and as I do cosmetic mods on my 1988 3.2 daily driver.

The Queen customizes her 3.2

I am such a Lucky Girl!!

At purchase in March:

On arrival this week

1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Sebscst
Dont sweat the small stuff, super cool car. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Step one....I wet vacuumed the 2 inches of water out of the chassis. Removed the seats. Luckily the interior is RS style so not a lot of padding to mold and rot. Wiped down the surface rust without too much trouble. Our climate is super humid so it took a few days to dry out with fans etc.

The electric system which is bare bones appears to have shorted out. None of the gauges work, the light are on again off again. So the game plan is to start with the wiring.

Today I packed my tools in the trunk and took my boyfriend for an inaugural joy ride. Ran great until we stopped for a soda. When we started back home the car started acting like it was out of gas (it was full). Popped the hood and the fuel injector was leaking gas at a fast clip from the intake line. We got it patched enough to limp home. Tonight i will search the forums on fuel injectors and also try to figure out if the glass fuel filter is supposed to be half full or if that means there is a clog/malfunction.

Still, I smile every time I see this car. I have named her Mathilde ...Tilda for short.

the queen
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-17-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Congratulations and gorgeous car

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That's pretty cool. Hope you enjoy the journey.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Cool car...
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Head over to 914 world.
Lots of info on T4 FI trouble shooting.
Enjoy the journey!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

En Passant!

Love the car! Thanks for posting pictures. I look forward to seeing more.

You asked about gauges so I'll just go over it here. They are held in by a U shaped bracket behind the dash. It takes a little gymnastics to get to some of the screws but it isn't that difficult. Before you remove stick your camera up in there and take a photo of the wiring. Tape up each set of wires and label so there's no guesswork later. Notice the little rubber sleeves on the back of the gauges, they fall off easily.

Once you've got them out, lay them face down. Start at the bottom (six o' clock). With a nice flat blade screwdriver (say 1/8" wide and at least six inches long) GENTLY pry the rear lip of the gauge face ring away from the housing. This part is pressed into the housing. Slowly work your way around without bending it too far out and mangling it. I had to go 'round mine at least three times. I had one gauge that refused to let me in. I ended up poking a hole with a teeny tiny screwdriver so I could get behind the ring.

Slide the outer ring off being mindful of the needles. They're soft aluminum and really easy to bend so watch out when lifting the inner rings. Don't attempt to remove any needles because in most cases the gauge will lose calibration. Unscrew the back of the gauge and slide the inner components out. Use a dry brush to de-funk everything. I oiled everything with camellia oil, it's oil that smells like flowers. Look for broken gears or anything that looks problematic. I didn't have any broken internals but I assume you can buy replacement parts from VDO.

I repainted my needles with Testors red from Hobby Lobby to match my interior. Use a long brush and load it well to get the paint nice and even across the needle. Repaint your gauge rings if you like. Mine were rusty. To remove rust easily soak in white vinegar completely submerged for a few days to a week, remove and immediately dry. Go over it with a soft steel brush and you'll get clean, shiny metal. Wipe it down with xylene and paint. A Preval system is the best way to paint stuff at home if you don't have a compressor.

My housing screws were rusty and rather than replate I just cleaned the rust off and covered them with paraffin wax. Kinda messy but it works.

Put the gauges back together. Turn the gauge face down on a table and press the face ring lip back into place with a piece of wood or other object that is softer. Go around a few times until it feels seated properly. Put 'em back in the car and gaze longingly whilst you go vroom vroom!

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Puma - thanks so much for the detailed tutorial! I am appreciative of all the pointers - and need them. Do you get to the bracket from the inside of the car or the frunk?
So, if i don't remove the needles, the gauges won't need re-calibration? That is great -and is what was stopping me from trying. Several of my gauges are foggy and need the glass cleaned on the inside. Yours came out fantastic.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK911 View Post
Head over to 914 world.
Lots of info on T4 FI trouble shooting.
Enjoy the journey!
Will do - thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all of you for all the kind words! I appreciate the encouragement as I was experiencing a twinge of buyer's doubt.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
Step one....I wet vacuumed the 2 inches of water out of the chassis. Removed the seats.
Damn, you ain't afraid of work.

Someday, I will tell you about Tilda from Toronto but for now I will remain silent after the Debbie-Deb stink-eye post.

The car is awesome. It is sex on wheels.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
. . . but . . . I will remain silent . . .
Why tell such a blatant falsehood, Bobasaurous?!?!
Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
... Someday, I will tell you about Tilda from Toronto...
https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/04/04/toronto-general-hospital-nurses-plastic-collection-transformed-into-mural.html

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 06-18-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Puma - thanks so much for the detailed tutorial! I am appreciative of all the pointers - and need them. Do you get to the bracket from the inside of the car or the frunk?
So, if i don't remove the needles, the gauges won't need re-calibration? That is great -and is what was stopping me from trying. Several of my gauges are foggy and need the glass cleaned on the inside. Yours came out fantastic.
Are you sure the fog isn't moisture? It's not that unusual for that to happen to our gauges, and that's without 2 inches of water in the cockpit.

Mark
Old 06-18-2017, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
It's nice having a lady posting in the forums. Welcome and good luck with the car.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti View Post
Are you sure the fog isn't moisture? It's not that unusual for that to happen to our gauges, and that's without 2 inches of water in the cockpit.

Mark
It is moisture---but wouldn't that do better if I clean the plastic and replace the seals?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
It is moisture---but wouldn't that do better if I clean the plastic and replace the seals?
Yo' Queenie, there aren't any real seals on the VDO gauges - they are open to atmosphere at all times from many spots on them. Cleaning the inside of the lenses won't hurt, but they will likely fog up again due to your extremely humid environment (they fog up and clear out on their own - depending on climate).
Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Raw...didnt know they didn't have seals - that explains a lot
Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

No prob, Queenie!

Another thing; I'm not sure if you mentioned it in this thread, or one of your other ones, but you said something to the effect that you were having intermittent problems with your lights (possibly other electronics as well?) and that you suspected a short . . . well given the water exposure this car experienced, the problem(s) is more likely due to corrosion on the various ground points (they are all over the car - front trunk, engine bay, cabin, etc.) or on various component connectors. A short causes blown fuses and melted wiring, if no fuse is present on the circuit that shorts to ground.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: