Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Don't know about the tin, need to see pictures. You can mock it up with a cheap length of radiator hose and then make a decision. The turbo placement should not require trimming the tin. If it does there is an alignment issue somewhere.
Not sure how you did the header install. When I mock-up the SSI system Y-pipe I start by mounting the turbo in place and hooking everything to it and work backwards towards the heat exchangers. Too many things hook to the turbo for it not to be the focal point of proper fitment. Your headers may not have slip joints in places that allow that option.
Ben had some high heat hose and T-band clamps left over from turbo work he was doing. You might shoot him an e-mail.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
No, it is a silicon hose made for the application. Not inexpensive. The adapter you have is about the same money as my hose and clamp setup.
I did not mean to derail your use of the adapter only to offer an alternative if it does not work for you. I've seen some line up perfectly and some not even close. Depends a lot on the headers.
Ditto!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Where would I get a hose like that locally? Hydraulic shop?

I'll try out what I have, but I do like the flexability with a hose like what you have. Besides by going to a hose would that avoid trimming the tin?
Local SPEED shop if you have one. You can also get them on ebay or from TIAL Motorsports amongst others.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
RarlyL8 - What kind of hose did you use? Is that just standard radiator hose or is something I can get from Lowe's? I just wouldn't want it to melt. I'm thinking I may go this direction after all.

Hi Bill,
I haven't done mine yet. My plan is to machine it at the bottom and leave a non-tapered portion that has a recess for the hose clamp down into.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
You should use silicone hose specifically made for turbo applications. It has the chemical and temp resistance ou need plus it is reinforced so that it can take the pressure from boost without bellowing much.
I ordered mine from ATPTurbo.com.....great prices and big selection.
I personally did not want to cut up my uppipe to the inercooler but like LESGARTEN said, I needed to make extensive mods to the end of my k27S turbo outlet to get the adaptor to fit. I destroyed 2 o-rings before getting everything fitted correctly. Included cutting 1/4 inch of the end of the compressor outlet to get the intercooler installed height somewhat level and correct. Your best lossening the compressor bolts so that it can rotate about the center section during the trial fit to make sure everything mounts ideally as well. Be patient as getting everything aligned after this swap is a PIA.
Worth the effort, the k27S is a great improvement in boost, reducing lag and boosting till redline. I have not dynoed yet but cannot wait for the chance.
Fred

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 03-21-2008 at 10:10 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
It also makes more sense to chop up a $250 Boost pipe versus chopping up a $1500-$2000 turbo IMHO.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

It all installed without a hitch today. We didn't even have to trim the tin and everything lined up. The only thing left to do is to get some of that flex heater tubing for the DS up through the tin. The stuff that was there basically fell apart.

About the time we got it to a point where we could actaully take it for a drive we already had about .5 in of snow on the ground. It' better melt ASAP because I can't wait.

Thanks for everyones help on this especially Oh Haha for being here to turn the wrenches with me!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Yep, no real problems at all today. Well, except for the stupid freakin' snowstorm that I had to drive home in with the 911. Yeah, it's not exactly a winter weather car.

I learned a lot from helping Bill with this install. One thing for sure is the fit of these GHL headers. Excellent fit with just a bit of manipulation. They really did just bolt right up to the heads.

This thing is going to be a beast!!!!!

As I was watching for oil leaks I kind of envisioned the old 935 techs working thier magic at the track, bumper off, big ol' turbo whining away inches from their faces, loving all of it.

Good times, good times.

Wayne
Old 03-21-2008, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Happy for you

Guys,

Glad everything went well. I just moved to CA from West Michigan (Grand haven) and know about the frozen tundra that you are experiencing. I hope everything with the car works out.

Best of luck,

Bryan
Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Haha View Post
Yep, no real problems at all today. Well, except for the stupid freakin' snowstorm that I had to drive home in with the 911. Yeah, it's not exactly a winter weather car.

I learned a lot from helping Bill with this install. One thing for sure is the fit of these GHL headers. Excellent fit with just a bit of manipulation. They really did just bolt right up to the heads.

This thing is going to be a beast!!!!!

As I was watching for oil leaks I kind of envisioned the old 935 techs working thier magic at the track, bumper off, big ol' turbo whining away inches from their faces, loving all of it.

Good times, good times.
Yeah, I'm not too keen on driving mine in the wet, and snow, forget it. I spent my formative years in Stuttgart. Now that I have my own 930, I think back to those guys driving 911's and 930's in snow and marvel at it.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Hey Bill, have you tried it yet?

When are you coming back south?

I'm curious about your mods... and would like to compare... :-)
Old 03-22-2008, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Hey Bill, have you tried it yet?

When are you coming back south?

I'm curious about your mods... and would like to compare... :-)
Not yet, because we got about 3in of snow yesterday and last night. Oh well, it's melting fast so I'm hoping tomorrow I can try it. We'll see. I don't know yet. We haven't even talked about it. That's all up in the air right now as well. If we make it down there I'll make sure to give you the dates. The car will probably be quicker in a stright line but you'll still get me in the corners. I still have your receipe for suspension work and have collected some of the parts. Maybe that'll be my next winter project.

Thanks to Oh Haha for giving me some heater hose today. All I have to do now is get a hose clamp. I thought I had one but they were all just too short. I'll be done tonight for sure.

Last edited by wcc; 03-22-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Here's a video link is anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LBxgrzc9xA
Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

You know, I was going to ask if you had clamps when we talked today. duh

I like the sound clip. It is more quiet than the stock turbo by far.

Next Saturday is supposed to be 50 degrees. WOOHOO!!

Wayne
Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: