Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It'll fit.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Cool thanks!

Ok, another probably dumb question but bare with me. Haven't done this project before. The adapter, do I have to drive it down to this lip (yellow arrow)? Or is it already on where it should be. I just didn't want to force it on there because it's already down to that out lip.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Response

Bill,

That orange seal inside should disappear and that lip should fit flush with the top of the turbo resting against where your yellow arrow is pointing.

Bryan
Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Alright, I guess it may be 'hammer-time'.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Bill,

That should not be fitting (at least for me it wasn't) that tight. Have you put a little oil around that orange seal. This will allow it to slide easier. I would try and fit that over the top without the seal first to make sure that there is no metal burrs or something that would prevent it from sliding on. Without the seal it should slide on with not too much force.

Then, add the seal with your lubricant of choice, then gently (with a rubber mallet or dead blow) tap it into place. You don't want to damage that seal.

Hope this helps,

Bryan
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah, I'll probably take it off and do as you suggested. In that pic it's REALLY tight. I don't want to mess up anything.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
Bill,

That should not be fitting (at least for me it wasn't) that tight. Have you put a little oil around that orange seal. This will allow it to slide easier. I would try and fit that over the top without the seal first to make sure that there is no metal burrs or something that would prevent it from sliding on. Without the seal it should slide on with not too much force.

Then, add the seal with your lubricant of choice, then gently (with a rubber mallet or dead blow) tap it into place. You don't want to damage that seal.

Hope this helps,

Bryan
I think someone must have mod'd your Turbo throat before you received it. I have had two K27's and both needed CONSIIDERABLE grinding to be able to fit that adapter. I left it where I had to pound that adapter down with a mallet so it would seal well. But MY experience has been that the adapter would not go on either of my K27's without modification to the throat.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thanks

Les, mine was easy without the o-ring seal. I am shocked that they would be so hard without, but I appreciate your input.

I wonder is Stephen at Imagine does this to ensure a tight fit, or it's just too tight of tolerances.

Have a good one.

Bryan
Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
Les, mine was easy without the o-ring seal. I am shocked that they would be so hard without, but I appreciate your input.

I wonder is Stephen at Imagine does this to ensure a tight fit, or it's just too tight of tolerances.

Have a good one.

Bryan
Hi,
At the turbo outlet, is there a little bit of a raised edge around the outlet?
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Mine has a raised edge. But it isn't too far off. I will have to grind some down to get it to fit without pounding on it too much.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
I had to take that edge down. It was so tight that I was sure it would "cut" the O-ring if it was forced. I took it down very slowly with a Hand file.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

Yup that's what I'm getting ready to grind down. I thought I would use my bench grinder and go slow. Maybe even tonight.....
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here is another option for you that will not involve grinding the turbo lip.
I cut the end off of the stock up-pipe and added a length of hose. Cures a world of fitment woes.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah, I thought about that. I ended up grinding it down to make the adapter fit. I think all that's left in question is the 'TIN' that needs to be trimmed. I'm not sure what needs to be trimmed to make all this fit. Unless anyone has suggestions I'll figure it out on Friday..
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Here is another option for you that will not involve grinding the turbo lip.
I cut the end off of the stock up-pipe and added a length of hose. Cures a world of fitment woes.

Hi,
I've not wanted to carve up my boost pipe, but I'm going to do the same thing. All those O-rings and slip/swivel joints are leak prone. Also the change of IC and Turbo exacerbates the fitting/sealing process in the extreme. I'm not crazy about that adapter at all.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Not sure how the previous owner did it- but there's a picture of my cut down tube earlier in this post if you missed it. Looks like you need to cut, then grind it a bit to take the taper out and allow for a good seal. Bill- take a look at the pics on page 2, then Brian's attached, modded pipe- it makes sense to me and removes another link in the chain of possible leaks. I'd think about it some more before you start grinding on that turbo and take too much off- the lip may be nice to have to seal the hose if you're considering the tube mod option.

Last edited by jay71; 03-20-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That small length of hose is a lifesaver when removing and installing the intercooler. You can wiggle the up-pipe all around until everyhting settles in and fits snug. It can also be adjusted up or down to give the exact hieght needed when everything is flush. I've had zero issues with it after what seems like 1000 intercooler removals.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

RarlyL8 - What kind of hose did you use? Is that just standard radiator hose or is something I can get from Lowe's? I just wouldn't want it to melt. I'm thinking I may go this direction after all.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No, it is a silicon hose made for the application. Not inexpensive. The adapter you have is about the same money as my hose and clamp setup.
I did not mean to derail your use of the adapter only to offer an alternative if it does not work for you. I've seen some line up perfectly and some not even close. Depends a lot on the headers.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Where would I get a hose like that locally? Hydraulic shop?

I'll try out what I have, but I do like the flexability with a hose like what you have. Besides by going to a hose would that avoid trimming the tin?

Last edited by wcc; 03-21-2008 at 05:30 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: