Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
upgrade basic questions, help anyone?

Got a nice "STOCK" 84 930 turbo
"stock" because on full boost the boost gauge goes all the way to 1. dont know if its supposed to stop at .8. The turbo/cat conv/ intercooler and so on look stock. Also brake calipers are red. Dont know if that is stock too or just painted by PO. I am thinking of getting a rarly8 header+single outlet exhaust, wastegate pipe system but would like to see about upgrading the intercooler and turbo to KOKELN set up.
My questions:
1. Will upgrading to KOKELN turbo and intercooler require messing with the CIS system at all or the ignition system or upgrading to larger injectors, fuel pump etc??? Or will this just be a bolt on upgrade? I dont want to mess with those cause the car runs perfect as it is but of course need more power......
2. I would also like to add the widest fusch repro wheels that will fit front and back(I love those wheels) but dont know if it will require changing anything else.....

Im not looking for crazy power like changing crank, cams, efi,twin plug drilling, etc etc. Just wanted to see if these things bolt on without confusing the cars stock electronics and stock fuel delivery system......

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am new to Porsche and its my first(wanted this car since I was in 9th grade...38 years old now...long wait!!
BTW I am in the new port richie area in FL(just north of Tampa) so if anyone is from around here and wants to help a newbie come on by. BEER and food on me for anyone who wants to help ....
Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage

Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

First of all, Welcome to the forum!!! There are numerous people on here who are full of knowledge...

First, you are omn the right track as far as "bolt on" accessories. Turbo, header system, free flowing exhaust, and a bigger intercooler are on the list of "must do's" as far as bolt ons.... your car will feel like a completely different car once those are added.

Second, your calipers are stock for a 930. In other words, the previous owner, or someone else has painted them. No big deal, beacuse they really are good and are upto the task for your car. For a racecar, I would upgrade..... but that is just me.

Third, you are very close to JB Racing in talavarus, FL... also Alex Job Racing. Both are wonderful shops to deal with. If you have any engine related questions, call JB Racing and speak with Mr. Mike Bruns.

Fourth, your car has no "electrical" engine controls. All the above mentioned bolt on stuff will not mess with any settings. I would however, take the car to a shop familiar with 930's and after adding all the above mentioned stuff, get a check of the mixture settings on the CIS.

Fifth, the stock wastegate spring for the 930 is a .8 bar spring. It could be possible for a previous owner to install the 1.0 bar spring, and if so, I would caution use of a 1.0 bar spring with the stock intercooler. If you still have the stock spring in the WG, your gage will spike to 1.0 sometimes.... that is normal. It is also been documented that the stock boost gage is inaccurate, and most replace it with a mechanical gage that replaces the clock.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cool. Thanks for the input. I will contact them to ask for advice. Thank you for the info.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Welcome aboard!

An old song by Queen comes to mind with the lyrics "another one bites the dust" - as in poised to begin the journey of sliding down that slippery slope of modifications. You buy the car, get instantly adrenalin addicted, start wondering what it would be like with just a touch more power....and off you go to never never land! If you've ever owned a barrel full of monkeys, it's more fun than that.

All the bolt on mods are really quite straightforward. There are no electronics to worry about, except the various Lambda control pieces. Most just rip all that crap out and run without it. Get a good turbo, get a larger intercooler, get a freeflowing muffler and get rid of the catalytic converter....those are the must-do's. Then you can start fine tuning with fuel control (adjustable WUR), hotter ignition, timing adjustments, boost adjustments, headers, air intake mods, BOV mods, and finally SC or 964 cams. In the words of George Harrison, "it's gonna take patience and time, and a whole lot of spending money".
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 12-12-2009 at 07:01 AM..
Old 12-12-2009, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

... In the words of George Harrison, "it's gonna take patience and time, and a whole lot of spending money".[/QUOTE]

It's been about 5 months but the car should be ready within a couple of weeks....my wallet is thinner... and Rennsport Systems can keep the lights on for another day!!

T9
Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mr. Gimpy,

Sounds like wisdom from a man with lots of first hand experience.

T9,

Steve is a great guy and does incredible work. We need to see pictures and hear details in a couple weeks.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

All.

Woke up this morning and I can tell it's time to come inside and get started on the MOD Time. This sucks, but it the perfect excuse to stay warm and finish the "Old Sled". We'll be Rockin & Rollin by Spring.

"Look at this S---"

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Yo Gonzo. Sweet car you have there. That car has history right? Is it local? Not a lot of shops around you. None in NPR. Looks like you picked up an enthusiast's ride there. She sure looks clean too. Who did your PPI (if you had one)?

I would be very careful because she looks nice as is. This car may be perfect for you as is. Are you going to keep it around the house or are you going to ride it often into St Pete or Tampa. Such commutes would provide enough opportunity for you to get to know her well, and learn about her at speed. Really lots of fun (learning to control her stuff) to learn. The 589 is usually boring but, you can have at it. Other places, thn the track. There is so much seat time that I would say is a prerequisite.

I would rather err on the conservative side with advice. May have had a couple of nice upgrades along with its maintenance.

All that said, if you must you must.

P.S. Mike is great guy. Have you spoken with Frank down in Largo. If you haven't he would be a great resource who is relatively close to you.

Regards,
Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm into my third off season with my 930. I started with a similar stock 82 930. I started my modifications with the air box modification,exhaust and minor adds (strut tower brace, pedals, new floor mats etc...) Next off season went to a set of new wheels 18" Fikse's largest front and rear 295/30/18 rear and 255/35/18 front. Got into the brakes (new rotors front and rear) had the calipers rebuilt and powdercoated as well as a suspension upgrade of thicker hollow core tortion bars and lowered to euro specs. Last week I installed a Kokeln Intercooler and am in the process of picking up a k27 7200 turbocharger.
I have as much $ into modifications as I paid for my ride and have loved spending every penny. Enjoy the ride. Take your time do your homework and don't rush it. Some of the best advice I see above is get to know your car!!! If it is your first 930 learn to drive the car. Get it out sideways see how the car reacts to what you do (do it in an open area!) It may surprise you! I joined the PCA and have attended numerous DE and Autocross events. You meet some great people see some great cars and find out that you are not as good a driver as you thought. These cars are the balls!! People love them I've got a friend with a 05 997s and when we go to shows my 82 930 gets twice the attention as his ride( it goes right up his tail considering he paid three times the money I did for his car ). I wish you the best of luck with your 930 hope it brings you the satifaction mine has!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Congrats on the new car. For wide Fuchs-type wheels, you essentially have three options: Lindsey, TruDesign, and Zuffenhaus (do a search under Jeff Alton). The first two companies take existing 16" wheels, cut out the centers, and weld them to new barrels. Both companies have great reputations. The only downside is the fact that you're using 20+ year-old centers with the attendant fatigue cycles. Zuffenhaus machines new Fuchs centers out of forged Aluminum and bolts them to new barrels. Everything is new. And the centers are sized for a 17" application (instead of a 16" application bolted to a rim profile to give it that extra inch), so aesthetically it's slightly better. Zuffenhaus is new to the market, but they seem to make a product loved by their handful of customers so far. I think all three companies offer custom widths and offsets, so you can run the wheels without spacers. All three seem to run about the same ballpark cost, depending on finish. There's a fourth company, BlownSix, that is making a replica 3-piece Fuchs wheel, as well. But I haven't seen a single customer step forward with a completed wheel. And based upon B6's problems selling their 930 intercoolers and their in-business/out-of-business dramas, I wouldn't trust them with my money.

Stock boost gauge is sometimes inaccurate. Mine also goes up to 1.0 bar sometimes, and I believe my motor to be stock. Or someone could have easily slipped in a stiffer spring. Yours is a ROW-spec car, but I believe they ran the same stock waste gate spring as the US versions.

Last edited by Noah930; 12-12-2009 at 03:19 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
All.

Woke up this morning and I can tell it's time to come inside and get started on the MOD Time. This sucks, but it the perfect excuse to stay warm and finish the "Old Sled". We'll be Rockin & Rollin by Spring.

"Look at this S---"

Cole
Ya didn't have to clean house just for us boys.

Supposed to start dumping the white stuff here first of next week. Up until today, it's been like 4*F at night, and a whopping 16 during the day. A person could probably run with 1.5 bar in those temperatures....a person with large cajones, that is.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
All.

"Look at this S---"

Cole
Hey!,

I have a plant just like that one!!

Nice place, love clean modern lines.

I'm itchin' to drive the 930 with the fresh upgrades. Topic for another thread...

t9
Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Cole,

Cool house. My wife would love it. Send me some more pix.

Jim
a930turbo at Bellsouth.net

Quote:
All.

"Look at this S---"

Cole
Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
thank to everyone. I think Ill get an exhaust and tune up kit and enjoy as is for now. I really havent taken her past 90mph but she got there faast and the boost is addictive. I think better sound(exhaust) will help me stop jumping ahead and take one step at a time.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sounds like you have a one bar boost spring which is good for about 30hp. If you keep it you will need an upgrade intercooler and the Koklen has been concidered a good choice. Otherwise run great fuel and do not get carried away on hot days. To be safe, put a stock .8 bar boost spring back in untill you get an better IC.

With a euro 84 you have the better heat exchangers. Freeing up back pressure after the turbo is one of the best things you can do.

If you do a lot of cruseing and freeway work set you CO (Air Fuel Ratio) to stock settings. If you want better off idle acceleration and are running 1 bar set CO to 3.0 to 3.5%.

Next up is a more effecent turbo. If you are not getting carried away as to mods or HP get a turbo from a 91-94 Turbo knows as a K27-7200. They come in much faster and run more effecently so it will make more HP. This is a 15 year newer turbo design.

Free flowing exhaust, K27-7200, one bar, and intercooler make for a great running 930 and can make up to 80-100 more HP than a stock US 930.

Enjoy!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Cole
I thought you would have your car parked in the living room. Or at least a bunch of go fast parts laying around.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice looking car, love the wheels!
Switching out the muffler will allow you to enjoy the car more by making the sound, throttle resonse and power level more "sporty" than stock without being too loud for the nieghbors or copilot.
I have a brother that lives in Tampa who is also into old VW buses. He has a sixty something with the huge VW emblem on the front and camping gear inside.
Cole does anyone live in that house? There's not even a butt print on the couch. You need to borrow my kids and dog for a week and break the place in.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mark, Rocket. T9, and Keith,

That's the house I designed and built for my wonderful Wife, 5 years nites and weekends and 4-5 heart attacks. It always looks like that. She's obsessed about the housekeepings Ferry coming by and catching her with a dirty house. That's why I stay down stairs with all the fast parts. My car is actually in my basement next to the Rec room and has heat and air.

Mark, The guy with the big Cajonas probably has a broken foot.

Jim, I'll send you some pick if you would like.

cole

Last edited by cole930; 12-12-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
ordered the rarlyl8 single and waste gate, tune up kit, 101 projects book, swepco tranny fluid and some fuses(just in case)
I got it all from pelican parts. Hope thats OK Brian that I got it from Pelican. It didnt say if all the mounting gaskets come with the exhaust and wastegate pipe. I assume they do. If not could you let me know so I can get those somehow.?
Went to Autocross event in zephyrhills airport today just to watch but looks like lots of fun. Didnt see another 930 though. Cant wait to participate next time. Also took the bus on saturday to VW event at VW/Audi/Porsche dealer in sarasota. Nice show. That audi rs8 in the showroom looks amazing!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all for the help and this forum
Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: