Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 78 is up on the block

I bought a newer one so have to sell one to make space. High bid takes it if anybody is looking.
Link
Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Sent this link to a buddy looking for a 930 local to you.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Don't you think you should list that the odo is currently sent out to be repaired? That info is IMO something all bidders should know.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Don't you think you should list that the odo is currently sent out to be repaired? That info is IMO something all bidders should know.
You should have emailed me direct as I have not looked at pelican since Wednesday or Thursday. I have had to get the car out everyday this week (except the day it rained) to take pictures for people. Wednesday the odometer stopped when I got it out around lunch time so I pulled the speedometer and shipped it out to get fixed. It is fedex # 870532188899. If I knew one of the gears or whatever would stop working the middle of the auction or it was some kind of problem I would have fixed it then put it up for sale. I thought when something broke you fixed it no matter if you are selling it or not?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Quote:
You should have emailed me direct as I have not looked at pelican since Wednesday or Thursday. I have had to get the car out everyday this week (except the day it rained) to take pictures for people. Wednesday the odometer stopped when I got it out around lunch time so I pulled the speedometer and shipped it out to get fixed. It is fedex # 870532188899. If I knew one of the gears or whatever would stop working the middle of the auction or it was some kind of problem I would have fixed it then put it up for sale. I thought when something broke you fixed it no matter if you are selling it or not?
Just saying I would edit my listing if something broke while the auction is still going.

After all your listing says:

...I described the car as best I could...

You said the odo broke couple of days ago and you have not edited your listing yet?

Maybe I should have just let it go but then someone could have bid higher not knowing about the odo problem and I found this POs add that had the same milage dating 4th of April 2009 which was a bit strange IMO. Exotic 1978 Porsche 930 for sale in Monterey, California

Last edited by smurfbus; 01-27-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: added the link
Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was just fixing it and moving on with the sale. I did not think anything about it until you posted something. I thought it was like anything else. If it breaks you just fix it. What if a bulb or a fuse, I would have done the same thing just fixed it and moved on not even thought anything about it. If I was not going to fix it that would be something different. I said something in our emails about it because it probably will be back here Thursday and Friday so I wanted you to know before you booked a transport to Europe.

I did not even think about leaving it alone or knocking 100~200 (whatever it ends up costing to fix) off the winning bid, I guess I could have. I did not realized fixing something when it stops working would become a problem. I thought people wanted things fixed and everything working. I thought people would be happy that I got it fixed especially right before it sales to make sure the new owner did not have to fool with it.

The car is from 1978 not 2010 so stuff like this happens. One day everything works the next it might not. That is the way cars work. You fix whatever the problem is and move on down the road.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That odometer gear that runs off the worm gear on the electric motor is made from a different plastic than the rest of the plastic gears in the odometer section of the electronic speedometer.
I know, I replaced it in my '87 and palo alto will sell the gear to you for $20 when I did it. I think you can buy the same plastic gear from aut*m*tion for $25.

That little POS clear plastic gear thats designed to dry rot and crumble shouldn't cost more than 50 cents.

ALL of them will turn to wax eventually and you did the right thing to have it fixed... and I can't believe this guy is giving you crap about it.

Here is a pic of the clear plastic odometer gear that dry rots in about 20 years depending on the climate your car lives in.
The rest of the odometer gears are a hard white plastic that don't rot and turn to something similar to candle wax.

..and the new $20 replacement odometer gear from Palo Alto speedometer:

It's easy to replace it yourself and save a hundred bucks and a couple weeks time.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The car is going off in about 2 hours if anyone is interested. If it does not sell it will not be relisted so this is your only chance.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: