Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks Guys !!!!!

I just love this stuff.

I just finished fabing up the heat diffuser. They used these on a lot of
the original 934 zorks. Once the zork is all welded together we will bend
the tabs down and tack the ends to the zork. There are a lot of
explanations I have heard as far as what there function is. They cool the
pipe at the flange, they act as a heat sink, they distribute air, or they
keep the zork from warping. Who knows for sure, they are just kinda cool.

Here is a pic of one of the originals.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Thanks Guys !!!!!

I just love this stuff.

I just finished fabing up the heat diffuser. They used these on a lot of
the original 934 zorks. Once the zork is all welded together we will bend
the tabs down and tack the ends to the zork. There are a lot of
explanations I have heard as far as what there function is. They cool the
pipe at the flange, they act as a heat sink, they distribute air, or they
keep the zork from warping. Who knows for sure, they are just kinda cool.

Here is a pic of one of the originals.

Cole
Hell man, you cut off your ZORK!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)

Marty !!!!!

You bet I did Buddy, I needed a little length to properly display
the icing on the cake. I think it's going to be killer, I just need a few
days to finish it up. I will always be so grateful for your kindness and
hope the finished product does you proud. I love it !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)

Garage
hehe
Thats so cool.
Great work Cole.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Hey Cole I am sure that the finished product will do all of us proud, have a Merry Christmas!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Looks like the Zork worked out, good deal!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Bri !!!!!!

It sure did, and it's coming together. I left you a message yesterday and I need
a wastegate outlet flange. I'll be out until mid afternoon but I'll give you a call
when I get back in.

Brian and I have been brainstorming on cutting and pasting parts for this exhaust
and wastegate for months. We are living proof two old farts with over 100 years
of combined cobbling experience can make anything work. And as for the 100
years combined experience you need to know I have shoes in my closet that are
older than Brian. Brian's job was showing the old dog new tricks.

I could not have done this without him and I sincerely appreciate him as a
craftsman and a friend !!!!!!

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 12-13-2011 at 06:08 AM..
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
Well, Cole said it'll result in 20HP gain...must be due to the fins creating less turbulence resulting in freer flow!
If you got HP for 'cool points', this car would give Belo a good run.............LOL
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Just a little update:

Waiting on my IC to get back as well as some seals for the clutch shaft. Thought
I'd get a zork from Bri and see what I could do with it !!!!!!

The makings of the coolest old school Zork since the factory stopped making
934's. It's going to Arlos tomorrow for welding and once I get it ready and
installed I'll post the finished product. Got to be another 20 HP of Old School
Cool.

Cole
Hey Cole,
Do you have any pics of the zork outlet looking down the pipe into the bore. I wanted to see more detail on what the center tube and fins look like inside there.
Do you know what they do in terms of improving flow or anything at the outlet?

I saw your explanation on the tabs at the flange end. Just want to know whats going on at the outlet end of the zork.

Hope you have a great Christmas. Santa hopefully brings you some tires because you are gonna have trouble keeping the rears from spinning down to the cords when you're all done with the sled.

thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)

Hey Cole. I've been following this thread for a while now, and just wanted to say that I'm a big fan. Your approach to this stuff is just amazing. Wish I could do all the ingenious mechanical stuff you keep coming up with. Have a great Christmas!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)

AND A BIG MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL YOU CLOWNS
FROM THE OLD GUY AND THE FIRST LADY

G Man & VAS:
Thanks for the encouragement and Happy Holidays

Win:
Thanks Bud but I'm sure Bello isn't loosing any sleep !!!!!

Mr. Fred:
I added some more pics. and one was just for you.

Tom:
Great to hear from you. Hope your really enjoying your car.
The ingenious mechanical stuff is highly over rated. It's actually
that even a blind hog will find an acorn now and then. I attribute
it to the overactive imagination the teachers always told my
mom about. If I had been as smart as you Chris would be doing
this. I tried to sell my body to science to get my new IC but no
one would take it.

Stage II:

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 12-13-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)
Banned

Looks great Cole! One question, and I don't want to sound negative, but how did you determine the placement of the tip in relation to the bumper/ground/center of the car etc., since this is welded up and non adjustable. This is one of the things that would keep me from buying a ZORK (the non adjustability) - most of the ones I see on 930s are nowhere lined up enough to suit me . . . hell, it even took my silly ass a day of bending and tweeking to get Brian's ZORK look-alike (the muffler with the center outlet) to place the way I wanted it to!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 12-13-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Garage
Cole, nice to put a face to the name, and voice.

I bet others will follow you on the zork. It is great.

Happy holidays
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

+1
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)

Ron:

I understand, completely, what your saying. The car is actually setting
on jack stands now. I grip clamped the bumper on and taped the zork
pieces together and f----- with it for at least a hour before I felt it was
going to be ok. It won't be the first time I tore something apart and did
it over because it didn't suit me. In fact, I have things I'm going to change
before I finish it.

Jesper:

This has been a fun project for me. I just love the 934 stuff it's so raw
and old school. No bling, no techie s--- just raw functional fun stuff.

That picture of me is the only one that exists other than a post office
wall. We were at one of my daughter's house and she took it and sent it to me.
I thought it might be cool to put faces to names and christmas seems a
good time.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 12-14-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)
Turbofrog

That Zork will look killer. A mini version of the same fin output for the WG pipe(s) routed next to the Zork would be even more unique.

I have so far been distracted from Zork (noice level) but that oldtimer fin design would look killer on my IROC bumper 79 and the muffler I now have is 17lb (weight loss bug) . I would like to try a wire operated throttleplate type DB_killer with it though so idle could be dialed a bit quieter on cold start or when ever needed.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)

Busman:

Thanks for the kind words and, by the way, the wastegate to match
is the next project. I talked with Brian today and he is sending me
some parts for it.

The fly by wire TB operation sounds cool have you seen it advertised
anyplace? I'd be interested in taking a look at that. Keep us posted on
that would you !!!

Cole
Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Here is a link I just found searching for these.

autospeed article

A bit overkill for me as I'm looking for a very simple butterfly that could be used by ie. the driver side heater lever? The temp at the Zork might be too high for a DIY aproach but the autospeed one seems robust but dunno about the price or overall weight.

Suprisingly not much info of plain butterflys over there so maybe it does not work so good even though some modern cars use these to lower the noice level.

EDIT: Found couple of nice units not so expensive.
APEXi Exhaust Accessories - Exhaust Control Valve (ECV) UNIVERSAL 0 - 0 155-A021

Exhaust ECV's
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38

Last edited by smurfbus; 12-14-2011 at 01:15 AM..
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've had a prototype active exhaust muffler on my car for 2 years now. Problem with them is valve design. All the aftermarket stuff is pure junk that seizes up is short order when exposed to turbo heat. I found one solution that works and am sorting out the control and activation details.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Whoa! That looks really COOL! Don't you feel like a little kid now! I do when looking at your pics!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and especially to you Cole and your family!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: