Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Max Sluiter

Garage
decklid hinges?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #241 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
decklid hinges?
Hmmm does it really looks like? Hinge is correct, BUT it's only one. The left one is stock.
A little help:

It's at the left front fender...

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #242 (permalink)
hello,

hinge for the filler flap?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #243 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Because of the three bolt holes I thought they could be door hinges but they looked too small. But I don't look at the door hinges on my car very often.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #244 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sch View Post
hello,

hinge for the filler flap?
TADA

Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #245 (permalink)

Garage
Finally some more to show

Finished the camber plates. Color change and DIY bushes to save weight (another 136g) and lift strut position. Furhter I drilled the battery mount

Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #246 (permalink)

Wow Roland your machining skills are impressive...can't wait to see your car completed.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #247 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Wow Roland your machining skills are impressive...can't wait to see your car completed.
Thanks

Me too... But we have to be patient. Not this year.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #248 (permalink)

Amazing work. I was mesmerized. Did you replace hood and rear tail? Someone know the diference in weigh between carbon and fiberglass, For the replaceable parts?
What do you expect the final weight to be?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #249 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicabum View Post
Amazing work. I was mesmerized. Did you replace hood and rear tail? Someone know the diference in weigh between carbon and fiberglass, For the replaceable parts?
What do you expect the final weight to be?
Thank you

Hood is stock but drilled. Rear deck lid as well:

Tail is homemade out of FG/epoxy, check my thread:

Homemade Whaletail

Carbon itself is about 25%percent lighter than FG. Different specs at all, so not comparable only by weight. Same for aramid, even more like steel, very durable, but not easy to work with, mulish stuff, ask me how I know

I have no idea how much the car will weight in the end and there is no goal. I just can tell that it was at the beginning of this thread about 1040kg and will be maybe under 1000kg at the and, we will see...

Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #250 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
The main determinant of weight with composite parts is the resin volume fraction. If you do a wet layup and don't squeeze much resin out the parts weigh a ton. If you use pre-preg and put it in an autoclave you have almost the minimum amount of resin so the parts are lightest and strongest. Extra resin doesn't gain you any strength. Just make sure you don't have dry fibers.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #251 (permalink)

Hi Roland, any news?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #252 (permalink)

Garage
Fantastic thread Roland. I'm amazed of your relentless drilling, machining and anodizing work. You are a very good DIY representative. How can the rest of us send away parts for anodizing now, after reading your thread. Your parts looks beautiful.

In your search for a lighter car, have you seen this site from DP: Innen Look at that ventilation box, reducing the wight from 6500 grams to 300. This must be something for you? There are some other trick parts there as well, but expensive. I talked to DP Motorsports at Techno Classica Essen this year, and they had some really nice light weight builds there. I test sat this, which is really nice (not a turbo though): Sleeper marks 50 years of Porsche 911 - IOL Motoring | IOL.co.za

For those unfamiliar with German, "federleighte elfer" means feather light eleven
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #253 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Nice find that BOX. We do have MOT requirements for the FAN but that box should work just fine in everyday driving.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 09-15-2013, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #254 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911-2,8-RSracer View Post
Hi Roland, any news?
I was in vacation in Sardegna until today, so I maybe this week I will make some more progress to show...

Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #255 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Fantastic thread Roland. I'm amazed of your relentless drilling, machining and anodizing work. You are a very good DIY representative. How can the rest of us send away parts for anodizing now, after reading your thread. Your parts looks beautiful.

In your search for a lighter car, have you seen this site from DP: Innen Look at that ventilation box, reducing the wight from 6500 grams to 300. This must be something for you?
Arnljot

Thanks for the compliments!

I've seen this box a while ago, but don't liked it:

First of all, the weight of 300gr is without any blower fan, the stock one is not heavier for sure. The 6500gr is maybe correct with fan and all stock tubing heater regulation etc... I will weight my setup this week to give you an idea of my thoughts and solution. The DP box needs a fan somewhere and if you use one with equal performance, then I doubt any weight saving or improvement at all

Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #256 (permalink)

Garage
Today, I checked the weight of my setup:

Box, fan and all ducting is almost 3200gr. Add a few gramms for some clamps and knob and you'll end-up at 3250gr or so

For Heater unit and overall pic check this:

Gas heater installation

I did not weighted the box alone, but without fan it won't be heavier then the 300gr of the DP box. Or even lighter

Conclusion:
With the DP box you still need fan, ducting, etc... and therefore I cannot see any improvement

PS Be sure I will find some weight saving potential here too...

Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #257 (permalink)

Garage
Biggest weight saving ever ;-)

I made some backing plates for the Tarett front sway bar out of stainless steel, went out fine, but thought I could be nicer...

So I decided to made some out of high strength aluminum 7075, what I use for most of my homemade parts. Saved another 20gr over the SS ones

BTW Pic does not show really, but of course there are M8 threads in the part as well

Last edited by proffighter; 10-04-2013 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #258 (permalink)

So -- when do we start a pool for guesses on this car's final weight? ;-)
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #259 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
So -- when do we start a pool for guesses on this car's final weight? ;-)
I have no idea, but lighter than before I guess

However, I do not know, what comes into my mind during the assembly, I tend to think about every part while just mounting. Sometimes it stays, sometimes not.

HAHAHA, BS most of the time: NOT

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #260 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: