Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New Project, SC to RSR Style Hot Rod

Ok I finally found the car to start my next hot rod build. I have been searching everywhere and just missed on a couple cars, barely. But I was lucky enough to hear about this car today, it is a local San Diego car with 175K miles, but a straight tub and runs and drives great. Will be removing the engine and trans this weekend and start disassembly. Have already ordered new turbo fenders from Porsche and they will be shipped in from Germany, I was lucky enough to source new factory turbo flares here in SD.

I am aiming to have the car done in time for Monterey, lots of work ahead so I better get off the computer and get ordering stuff!

www.davekealoha.com
follow me on instagram, flyin.hawaiin
Old 12-21-2016, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Smile

Oh boy!!! What will be different about this build? Subscribe ided .

Last edited by tdw28210; 12-22-2016 at 02:16 AM..
Old 12-22-2016, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Oh boy!!! What will be different about this build? Subscribe ided .
Hmmm, the color?

The basic car will be a wide body sunroof delete hot rod, thru hood fill, 15" wheels, with a bright color paint job. Maybe some bespoke pieces here and there. Sticking with a touring style car that is comfortable and compliant but definitely not soft.

Seriously after doing the last one there were a lot of people that had said they needed AC and or heat so incorporating that into the build and keeping it uncluttered will be something different and a priority.

The body will be similar, I am really kicking myself for not pulling my own molds off the bumpers of the last one, we spent so much time getting them perfect. This time that will not happen, also I will have my metal guy make several sunroof panels and short hoods into long hoods. After speaking with him last nite he said I can get my price down if he knocks out several at the same time.

This one will come down to bare metal as it had been repainted and there are some areas that filler is cracking so will need to check the car over.

Not sure yet on suspension, been thinking about coil overs but it is not a track car so I'm not sure the extra expense will be a well spent option, but it is bouncing around in my head.

Not sure what to do with the motor but EFI is high on the list, a friend has a complete fresh 3.4 twin plug race motor ready to plug and play, some talk about 3.6 and 3.8 has been going on, need more thought on that I do.

I guess just stay tuned and we'll see what happens!

www.davekealoha.com
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
How can you change to EFI and still be smog legal in California?

I thought that changing the fuel injection in California was against the law?

Thanks,

Rahl
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356911930 View Post
How can you change to EFI and still be smog legal in California?

I thought that changing the fuel injection in California was against the law?

Thanks,

Rahl
That's a good question.....

I guess the Beverly Hillbillies were wrong when they said "California is the place to be"

www.davekealoha.com
Old 12-22-2016, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Subscribed again!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Subrd
Old 12-22-2016, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
You could swap to a later motor with EFI and smog it according to the year of the motor provided that all the emissions control equipment appears to be in place and working and it passes the (tougher) sniffer test.

Otherwise you would need an EFI kit that flies under the radar, or temporarily put the CIS back on for the test.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 12-22-2016, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You will enjoy it. Will lose the electric side view mirrors? I kept them as I appreciate the functionality.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
off to a good start! again
Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Some guys in the UK are rigging up some electric AC that fits wholly in the frunk. It won't be Griffiths performance, but it might take the edge off. I'm not sure how far along they've gotten as the thread died:

Classic Retrofit: Lightweight Electric Air Conditioning

Modest heat is easy. Just stick some CEET tubing from the engine shroud to a T-spitter to the exhaust headers and on to the flappers. No additional fans needed.

Lots of threads and info on torsion bar suspensions. I'd probably stick with rubber and maybe polybronze. If the car has Bilsteins, having them custom valved will perform better in every way and be cheaper than off-the-shelf components, allowing you to up the spring rate without adding harshness.

In terms of air/fuel delivery, it looks like ITB and EFI is maturing, though I'm not aware of any bolt-on kits yet:

x-faktory: 3.0 with PMO/EFI & Rasant AEM Infinity

A 3.6 adds something like $10-20k over a comparable 3.2-based motor (depending on what has been done to either).

Everyone is moving so fast with their RSR tributes that by the time I'm done with mine I'll be another in long line of followers...

Last edited by Tremelune; 12-22-2016 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn-hawn View Post
Hmmm, the color?

The basic car will be a wide body sunroof delete hot rod, thru hood fill, 15" wheels, with a bright color paint job. Maybe some bespoke pieces here and there. Sticking with a touring style car that is comfortable and compliant but definitely not soft.

Seriously after doing the last one there were a lot of people that had said they needed AC and or heat so incorporating that into the build and keeping it uncluttered will be something different and a priority.

The body will be similar, I am really kicking myself for not pulling my own molds off the bumpers of the last one, we spent so much time getting them perfect. This time that will not happen, also I will have my metal guy make several sunroof panels and short hoods into long hoods. After speaking with him last nite he said I can get my price down if he knocks out several at the same time.

This one will come down to bare metal as it had been repainted and there are some areas that filler is cracking so will need to check the car over.

Not sure yet on suspension, been thinking about coil overs but it is not a track car so I'm not sure the extra expense will be a well spent option, but it is bouncing around in my head.

Not sure what to do with the motor but EFI is high on the list, a friend has a complete fresh 3.4 twin plug race motor ready to plug and play, some talk about 3.6 and 3.8 has been going on, need more thought on that I do.

I guess just stay tuned and we'll see what happens!
Sounds very interesting. Why the 15's and not deep 17's? Is it for ride quality issues or aesthetics?

And I hear you on the heat and AC. You know my thoughts/solutions on the heat topic already. ; ) And I am holding out/hoping for the electric AC system Tremelune is mentioning in his post. I know it needs the massively oversized washer tank removed, which I've already done on my build. I originally did it more for weight that anything. Figure I can carry a squeegee and some cleaning fluid with me n case it ever gets too dirty. : ) Might want to consider doing the same in anticipation of this new AC system.

Good luck and Aloha Brother! I am sure it will be another epic build!
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
15's mostly aesthetics, but ride is nicer, all things being equal anyway, the 15 provides a bit more cushion with them, personally i do not care for the 17's but I would not throw a Singer out because of that.....

The AC will just upgrade with Griffiths or Rennaire parts, the heat will be a simple backdate like Tremelune alluded to.

www.davekealoha.com
Old 12-23-2016, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Love your builds, can't wait to se where this one is going

And Merry Christmas - from Denmark.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Ditto. Loved the orange 911. Merry Christmas from Western Australia.
1978 Porsche RSR Speciale under construction
Old 12-23-2016, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Can't wait to see this!
Subscribed
Old 12-23-2016, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn-hawn View Post
15's mostly aesthetics, but ride is nicer, all things being equal anyway, the 15 provides a bit more cushion with them, personally i do not care for the 17's but I would not throw a Singer out because of that.....

The AC will just upgrade with Griffiths or Rennaire parts, the heat will be a simple backdate like Tremelune alluded to.
+1 on the 15s on tb or P7 corsas
Old 12-25-2016, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

Some more pictures before we get started.
First off trans will be getting rebuilt with new bearings, sliders, synchros, lsd, larger turbo flanges to g50 axles to cope with bigger power
3.0 is going away to make room for 964 based 3.6, full rebuild with larger valves, bigger cams, arp hardware, cp pistons, 12 pin distributor, 50 pmo carbs. I had wanted to go efi on this build but just not happening on this one, hopefully the next one.

www.davekealoha.com
Old 01-02-2017, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Great stuff! Don't forget to check out our RSR tribute thread while you work on yours: Finishing the Pelican Parts 911 RSR Tribute Project. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: