Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is there a better year 930

Ok, so I didn't get shot with the blown engine concept. So... I am considering a turbo.... maybe 80 ish vintage but the horror stories are all over the place. Number 1... can a normal Joe do a tune up on one of these? Used to do my 67 911S valves and tune up all the time. Does ANYONE use there 930 as a daily driver or is this concept just plain crazy? Is there a better year for reliability or ease of labor (working on them)? One that is known for it's reliability and performance?

Sorry for all the questions you guys have seen a zillion times but I am striking out on a 3.2 M-491. And just for the record.... I like the M-491's BECAUSE they have the better suspension, brakes and looks coupled with reliability. If I could get a Turbo that would fit the bill as a quality daily driver AND it's easy enough for a guy to do some of the minor stuff I would have to consider it.

Dave
Old 04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Most people that own 930s seem to eventually start doing a lot of the stuff themselves because it is no more difficult than your 1967. They are all equally reliable. As with any old car you are going to have minor annoyances along the way but if you use your car as a daily driver it will run better than if you let it sit in the garage. My 930 starts instantly after a day but starts a little slower after a week or two, they like to be used. You can get any part for these cars through Porsche or the aftermarket, and you have a wonderfully slippery slope of tuning possibilities that never ends, or even seems to slow down. Want 500 hp? No problem. Or leave it the way it is.

But you will need to take it to a European car shop for major work because the average joe won't even know where the engine is located!

The engine will be reliable if you check it carefully before buying. It's little crap like the air conditioning and so on that sometimes need maintenance.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There is nothing like a 930. I grew up with always having new cars so I have only really ever done an oil change on my own. On this car I couldnt believe how easy it was to work on. I have already dropped the engine, completely tore it down to the case with no problems, and did it by myself with the help of this board, waynes books, and a local porsche guys tools and tips. The one thing you have to remember, and was told to me is Take Your Time. Patience is a virtue with these cars. and you really want to work on it yourself to save from the infamous P-Tax, euro mechanics charge you.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ah yes, we get charged serious P-Tax here in Australia too! It's just a given. If you can afford a Porsche, you can afford to pay 3-4x more for mechanical work... it's total B.S if you ask me

This is why I revert to doing all the simple stuff myself. I'd like to get to the point where I can drop the motor, do a tear-down and rebuild it myself. Now THAT would be an achievement!

IMO, you should turbo your M491. You already have the Carrera EFI and 930 bottom end and G50. You evenhave the 930 brakes
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
He stated a 1985 M491, no G50.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ooops! My bad
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Your question regarding reliability, not bad. These cars are getting up in age but with proper care, they can last forever. Deferred maintenance is the downfall of most of them (that didn't leave the road tail-end first). Can they be driven regularly with any degree of civility? Yes. Will you? It's tempting. All those wonderful noises, honk, snort, spool, decel - whooshhh! You just gotta sample it on occasion. Think of it as 80 to 300+ HP in one atmosphere. 'kind of Jekyl & Hyde-ish. Rumor has it they get pretty good gas mileage if you stay off the boost. I can assure you I'll never know.
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

well put 930turbo!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
A 930 is not significantly any less reliable than an SC or Carerra of the same vintage. Longevity is completely up to you. Fuel mileage is in the 20's when in proper tune and off boost. Stay at or below 300RWHP and 0.8bar and the engine will live a long productive life.
Parts prices are more expensive. Go fast goodies are much more expensive. The daily smile on your face is priceless.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great info

Ok... I am getting good information but the one thing I am not getting is this: (i look to see what year each poster has trying to see if there is a common year) Is there a known year that is known for it's balance between power and reliability? I have heard that the 78-79's are big on H.P. and anything 82-86 is a euro. 87-89 have the G50 and so on. POsitive and negitives? Any?

Dave
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

No negatives that I can think of

The earlier '78-'79 models didn't have the luxuries of the 80's models, therefore they are a tad lighter I believe?!?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Re: Great info

Quote:
Originally posted by Downerman
Ok... I am getting good information but the one thing I am not getting is this: (i look to see what year each poster has trying to see if there is a common year) Is there a known year that is known for it's balance between power and reliability? I have heard that the 78-79's are big on H.P. and anything 82-86 is a euro. 87-89 have the G50 and so on. POsitive and negitives? Any?

Dave
78-79 930 have the Euro CIS fuel system and exhaust, even in the US. The later US cars don't.

Only the '89 930 had the 5-speed box.

I thought that the motor on the 91-92 965 is pretty much a 930, but the body/suspension/interior is different, whereas the Turbo 2 (93 on?) makes more power due to revised intercooler, turbo, doesn't this have a Motronic instead of CIS?

And then there's the 3.6 turbo...

Earlier cars are lighter; think that crash protection equipment is at least part of this.

Probably more important to find a good example, unless there's a specific reason to get fixated on a particular year.

I don't think they're unreliable as daily drivers, just possibly a little too, uh, intense for some people's taste...

A blown M491 G50 car is a cheap route to a lot of things that add up fast if you start with a 4-speed 930 and want to end up with big power.

But you may find that even a stock or mild 930 feels like insane power and you don't want much more.

It must have been absolutely shattering in the 70's when most ordinary cars had much less power. It's still very exhilarating today.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I have a 1992 Turbo, and it is my primary driver when its not snowing or I am on the motorcycle.

I am no expert, but with the exception of the intercooler, the 3.3 L motor is my car is basically the same as in the earlier cars. The transmission I belive is the same G50 as in the 89 930's. The suspension is different as the 91 and 92 use coilovers on all four corners. I know I have read up on the brakes, but there are folks that know a lot more about them than me, so I won't even discuss them.

The biggest and most obvisous differences are the bumpers and rockers are different, the interior is a little different, but not much. The AC in my works better, which could be a concern if you are daily driving it.

The 94 Turbo is a whole different beast, and command a pretty hefty price difference.

From a daily driver stand point, my 92 has been pretty heavily modified, I have actually dialed back some of the performance so that the engine will live longer. It had 1.1 bar worth of springs in the WG, and I went down to .8, etc.

My commute is 60 miles each way, and I get about 20 mpg, and actually look forward to my drive.

I say go for it.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
oops forgot the picture. I mean how can you not love to look at this as you walk up to your car to get into it to go home?

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Economically your best bet is a '78/9.
You can purchase a good one in the mid $20Ks. They are uncomplicated allowing you to do the work yourself which builds confidence in using it as a daily driver.

'89s sell in the $40Ks now and C2Ts are even more expensive and complex. All have basically the same 3.3L CIS engine accept the '94 C2T which has a 3.6L CIS engine.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

the best year turbo is the one in your driveway
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-04-2007, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I have to touch my car every time I walk by it in the garage (my brand new daily driver gets the outdoor treatment), Kiss it before I got to bed, and many times while sitting in my lazy boy watching tv I feel the urge so I go and sit in it. am I addicted or what?

P.S. I have the best year turbo b/c she is all mine!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Okay, let's be specific:

The 1976 model weighs 2635 pounds and has manual steering and brakes. That's the car I have, and the brakes are normally upgraded to the later 78 and onward turbo rotors and calipers by most owners. I love the manual simplicity of the '76, and the light weight. Manual brakes feel good when you set them up good.

The 1977 adds some power assist braking and about 30 pounds of weight, but it is pretty nice to get the boost assisted brakes if you like that. It has a couple small refinements.

The 1978 adds over two hundred pounds and a 3.3 torque monster of a motor compared to the previous 3.0 litre, to compensate. The engine is moved further back in the engine bay by an inch or two, and sometimes people try and squeeze it forward again, but a lot of people don't really notice any handling difference, especially with some good modern tires. What I like about my 3.0 litre is the crankshaft comes out of the 2.7 and therefore is very fast spinning, also the flywheel is lightweight and the '78 and on often go back to a lightweight flywheel as a performance mod. My car already has that built in! On the other hand, the 3.3 litre can be very easily modified right up to 500 hp, whereas the 3.0 can be modified that way but is better suited to be modified as a sporty, quick revving high rpm motor as opposed to a torque monster like the 3.3. You can make a 3.0 litre just as highly modified as a 3.3, and keep it's free revving character, but the 3.3 really fits extreme horsepower applications well.

The '78 and onward have the better brakes and bigger engine and tea tray spoiler instead of the whale tail so that they can fit a intercooler. I am not personally aware of any 'safety' or 'crash' related features that where added outside of the brakes. I could be wrong.

The late 80 models have bigger stock wheels and I believe the fuel management is more sophisticated, I could be wrong here but I think they went to O2 sensors and what not.

If you buy an older model you can often register it as an antique, although not normally if you mention that you are going to commute in the car. There are usually many benefits from running an antique, such as no inspections required, at least in a lot of states.

I bought my 1976 set up a certain way, but if I was going to start with a totally stock 930 and than build it from there I would get a 78 or 79. Lighten it up with fiberglass front and rear bumpers, get a better intercooler, and an easily modified engine. Get it registered as an antique. Enjoy.

Last edited by DDDD; 04-04-2007 at 08:52 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

All great information above - good stuff guys.

The only thing I have to add is that Porsche never added Motronic EFI into their turbo cars until the 993TT I believe. All previous Turbo's were CIS injected.

This is interesting as other car manufcaturers were running more sophisticated EFI systems in their turbo cars o the same era. Anyone know why Porsche delayed adding EFI until mid the 90's?

Even RUF went with a Motronic EFI in their mid 80's CTR conversions! The 962's were even Motronic based motors (Motronic V1.7 I believe). WHY didn't Porsche do it?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AngM018
and many times while sitting in my lazy boy watching tv I feel the urge so I go and sit in it. am I addicted or what

LOL, you are not alone!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: