Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Another EFI conversion nearly complete!

I've been working on an Electromotive Tech GT ECU based EFI conversion and got the car started today!

Engine bay is much cleaner. Idle is smooth at 900 warm, initial advance is 10 degrees, and AFR's are right in the 14.5 range at idle with no tuning so far. No street tests, yet - need to get the base map sorted.

I now need to tune the beast up!

I do have an issue or two to resolve: when I cut the ignition the engine runs on for a few seconds, so I need to figure that out. I have to hook up my tach and I am still dependent on the yellow relay of death as I have not figured out an easy way to trigger the fuel pumps without hitchiking on that circuit. I do have some ideas, now.

I will have many good condition CIS parts for sale soon, along with Leask WUR in great shape and a DWUR still in the box. I'll post them as soon as I get around to it.

I also have many pictures and plan to assemble a how to guide so others can follow if they choose in the future.

I want to send out a BIG THANK YOU to Richard Clewett, as he has supplied me with the parts and several answers to questions as I have gone through this. I have also continued to source many parts from our forum sponsor.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Cool another EFI 930 runnin the roads
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Infidel

Looking forward to the pics, congrats on doing the work yourself, must have been a nice feeling when it fired up!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, very cool to have it start right up and knowing there are no vacuum leaks or air leaks or stuck servos and doo dads! Adjusted the map a bit tonight with Richard's help, and it's time to drive it and record some data for further refinement! Hopefully this weekend.

3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Good deal, How do you want for the BL WUR?
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Pics or it is all fiction!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
As soon as I get the bumper on, clean things up and sort out the old parts, I'll let folks know what is available for spares. I have several pings for WUR and DWUR already, etc.

Yes, all fiction without pictures....

soon - I have too much going on this week to get it together enough to post any so far.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5uewf View Post
I do have an issue or two to resolve: when I cut the ignition the engine runs on for a few seconds, so I need to figure that out. I have to hook up my tach and I am still dependent on the yellow relay of death as I have not figured out an easy way to trigger the fuel pumps without hitchiking on that circuit. I do have some ideas, now.
Take the ECU's Fuel Pump Relay (FPR) control wire (ground) directly to the 2 fuel pump relays in the front trunk. Do not connect to the rear relay.

Up front, locate the brown/red wire out of the back of each fuel pump relay (pin 85). Cut it. Take the FPR wire and connect it to 85 on the back of each relay.

Done. No more diesel run on when you shut off the engine.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for the tip, Chris. In the end I had tapped into a red/white in the bay that was connected to a timer. I switched to teh other red/white lead and now the engien cuts cleanly.
I did try to run a lead up to the front trunk and then tap into the #85 lead on both relays in order to route the low amperage 12 volt from the ECU fuel mgmt wireing to the relays. This did not work for me, so I am still wired into the yellow relay of death for the fuel pump energy. Not being a wiz with 930 wiring and having no access to a wiring schematic makes it tough to route a this one circuit.

Anyway, all else is good and the engine runs very well. Much smoother than with CIS and very snappy with the timing advance off idle (14 degrees). Still tuning and AFR's still need to be adjusted.

Picture attached as requested.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Just want to share an update and perhaps encourage anyone on the fence between CIS repairs and EFI.

Working with a laptop and collecting run time files periodically, and then sitting for few minutes with a beer at night adjusting parameters a bit here and there has led to an engine that purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, idles at a flat 975rpm, and overall performs just great.

Eventually, I'll get a dyno reading as I am curious about torque and HP, but in the meantime just wanted to let you know conversions can be very easily accomplished and can yield excellent results.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wide body, molester.

I'm betting the car will be faster if you ditch that solid gold intake!

I'm still in the fence and his kit will be in my price range sooner than the others. I'm glad to hear all went well!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Congratulations, Emery!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Maybe if I melt down the gold intake I can put that cash into more mods!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wide body, molester.

Yeah you can then buy my cut, ported,welded, powder-coated carerra intake. I can't afford to use it on my EFI conversion due to the cost of the most awesome intercooler I'd want/need from TurboKraft.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Who did you work with to source the Electromotive parts and who did the tuning? What made you decide to go with the Electromotive package? I have a mid ninties Electromotive full system on my 930 and need to update the ECU as it is no longer supported by Electromotive so trying to decide whether to stay with their ECU or move to another.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Clewitt Engineering
Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was looking for a way to convert to EDI without having to piecemeal a conversion together on my own. I also do not live near a shop who could do this work for me.

I found Clewett Engineering offered a kit based upon the newer Electromotive TecGT ECU and after looking around, I settled on this path. I know there are other very capable shops which can perform top level conversions, so my choice in no way reflects upon any other options - it was just the best for me based upon my budget, my location, and my ability to perform most of the installation on my own.

The installation is straightforward and is without surprises. I do have an installation document posted on Richard Clewett's site in the support section if you want to review the steps I followed.

The most challenging steps in the installation for me were:
- determining which CIS wiring I could remove safely
- determining how to bypass the fuel pump circuitry in the stock configuration, so I could energize the pumps via the new ECU.
Having determined how to do these things, we can now pass along this info to future endeavors.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Would you mind sharing what your total costs were to convert over.....even better if you could provide a parts list breakdown on the kit.
I have heard lots of shops quote $5-8k to convert to EFI when all the hardware is said and done. Just want to know what you are all in for if thats not too personal a question.
Interested in seeing the dyno numbers when you get them too. Should be impressive.
Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If I recall correctly, the kit did cost about $5k, and this did include everything I needed. I did pay another $100 or so for an air idle unit which is not necessary but does even out the idle. I also got a reliable base map which was actually pretty close to being usable for day to day driving out of the gate, and I just have been tuning this map over time. I also get ongoing email and phone support if I have questions or problems with tuning, etc.

I think Richard Clewett lists all prices on his site.

You can offset some of the costs by selling off your old CIS parts and ignition parts, though I found that market softer than I thought it was.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Did you ever get some dyno AFR numbers? I'm probably going to convert to EFI this winter and this looks like the best overall one stop solution.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: