Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Looking to replace windshield with OEM unit

Well I was out for a drive last weekend and my original Sigla windshield ate a large rock. Took a nice chunk out of the glass. Anyway, my '89 turbo cab is bone stock so I'd like to replace the windshield with an OEM unit.

There is one glass guy in the Montgomery, AL area who is familiar with these cars, but he has to source his glass directly from the Porsche dealer (he was told there are 24 different windshields for my car . . . not sure if this is true). I need the green tinted unit with the built in antenna. All told, the bill comes close to $1400 (around $950 for the glass, $200 for the molding, $150 for the installation, plus tax). My insurance will cover, however I am seeing if there is anyone out there who has sourced OEM replacement glass before and what, if any advice you would offer. I figured I'd ask before pulling the trigger on a dealership-supplied windshield. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good question....I'm listening.

I hooked up with an asteroid last summer that smacked a tennis ball size break....damn near came clean through (well, almost). Scared the piss outa me, and of course pissed me off big time!

I 'sourced' an excellent condition used shield for a couple hundred (some dismantler in Florida). Has the windshield radio wire, and the green tint (which I don't like, but the price was right). Bought a new seal for something like $60, so all if have to do is get my ass in gear and pull out the bad and in with the new. The rubber seal has to be cut out and destroyed in order to remove the metal trim that's wedged into a groove. Put a new rubber seal on the 'shield, snap in the metal trim, then 'rope' the 'shield back into the car. Sounds simple....we'll see.
I don't think you'll find OEM anywhere than through Porsche. Lots of aftermarket out there for a fraction of the cost. OTherwise, I think the quoted price is pretty much normal for OEM replacement.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
You can do a search here and see if you can get the moulding for less. If he is charging $150 for install then I think that is pretty good. I just replaced the windshield in the Targa last summer and it can be a PITA and is easiest with 2 people who are capable of working together.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hello ,

i think the 89 rubber is the same the 964 with out the molding right ?
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Had atspeed motorsports do mine last year. There was a quality lower cost replica 500bucks or so. But no antenna. Called cpr restoration in CA to ask where to get the exact oem with antenna. They told me Stoddard - 800bucks or so(90% sure - many vodkas ago).

Total removal/ install with new seal $1300....no issues so far
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey Mark,

Slightly off topic, but your windshield install procedure is missing a few steps / details. I put in many a windshield into the race car I crewed on.
Step #1, put the new seal on the new windshield, slide in the trim. Putting the trim in is as fun as you think it is going to be, wink, wink, nod, nod.
Step#2, lube the cars window frame area, spray on/foaming glass cleaner works great.
step#3, lube the rubber seal, spray on/foaming glass cleaner works great.
Step#4, put a thin very strong cord around the inside lips of the rubber windshield seal. With the loose ends meeting & over lapping at the bottom of the window in the center.
Step#5, place the bottom section of the seal & window onto the cars frame, get as much of the seal into the final location as possible along the bottom.
Step#6, with a help of an assistant firmly pushing on the windshield from the outside. Start slowly pulling the cord ends around the glass & seal. You should end with the cord popping out at or around the rear view mirror location. Sometimes you end up pulling only 1 cord end at a time, slowly working the seal into it's new home, be patient.
Step #6, yes some swearing and shouting will be required, and usually it takes at least 2 attempts to get it right. The corners are the biggest P.I.T.A.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 03-22-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That sure makes $150 seem like a bargain.

x: 62 356, 64 356, 76 930, 84 911 Targa, 85 ROW 911, 00 996, 07 Cayman S.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hey Mark,

Slightly off topic, but your windshield install procedure is missing a few steps / details. I put in many a windshield into the race car I crewed on.
Step #1, put the new seal on the new windshield, slide in the trim. Putting the trim in is as fun as you think it is going to be, wink, wink, nod, nod.
Step#2, lube the cars window frame area, spray on/foaming glass cleaner works great.
step#3, lube the rubber seal, spray on/foaming glass cleaner works great.
Step#4, put a thin very strong cord around the inside lips of the rubber windshield seal. With the loose ends meeting & over lapping at the bottom of the window in the center.
Step#5, place the bottom section of the seal & window onto the cars frame, get as much of the seal into the final location as possible alone the bottom.
Step#6, with a help of an assistant firmly pushing on the windshield from the outside. Start slowly pulling the cord ends around the glass & seal. You should end with the cord popping out at or around the rear view mirror location. Sometimes you end up pulling only 1 cord end at a time, slowly working the seal into it's new home, be patient.
Step #6, yes some swearing and shouting will be required, and usually it takes at least 2 attempts to get it right. The corners are the biggest P.I.T.A.

Mark
I'm sure everyone will appreciate the detail. Yes, that's exactly how to do it. But to get the original aluminum trim piece out without destroying it, my understanding is that you basically have to cut it out....cut the rubber seal at an angle to free up the trim....remove it...then proceed as you've detailed. I haven't done it yet, but will be soon. Have the windshield and new seal just barking at me to get with the program.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
There is an easier way to put the trim in other than sliding it through the slot.

I use hand clamps. The plastic ones with the wide soft clamps covers. (Shop IRWIN 12-in Bar Clamp at Lowes.com)

If you are careful, you can squeeze the trim in without damage it. Lay the trim over the slot and clamp slowly from one end to the other. Goes right in.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Excellent tip Stephanie, thanks. I'll be working up the nerve sometime this spring to tackle this.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all who responded. I am going to have it done at the dealership. To me it's well worth $150 to have the pros do it, plus they are insured if they screw it up.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The way I look at it is that once I've mastered the technique, I become one of the "pro's". Hopefully it's worth $150 of sweat equity. The worse that can happen is I throw my hands up in dispair and relinquish the task to a seasoned pro.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
When I installed the trim in my side windows (964/965/993's don't have trim in the windshield/back window, although I wish they did) I used a water-based rubber lubricant called Merpol. I was able to easily push the trim in by hand.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I researched this quite awhile ago and somewhere have a copy of instructions for replacing the windshield. Seems a couple of you have gone down that road. If I recall, in order to remove the windshield one first has to remove the metal trim piece that's in the seal grove....which can't be done without destroying the trim UNLESS you take an exacto knife and cut through the seal at a angle beneath the trim piece to 'relieve' it; then you can pull it out.

To install the windshield, you do it as a unit with first installing the new seal on the window itself and then pressing in the metal trim....then rope the window into the car.

Is this close to what y'all have done?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

[QUOTE=mark houghton;7347384] If I recall, in order to remove the windshield one first has to remove the metal trim piece that's in the seal grove....which can't be done without destroying the trim UNLESS you take an exacto knife and cut through the seal at a angle beneath the trim piece to 'relieve' it; then you can pull it out.
QUOTE]
I've never installed the windsheild, and like tire mounting it's one of those things I'd rather pay a professional to do. It's very difficult to do by yourself and I always do everything by myself with car repairs and maintenance so without a helper it's too easy to slip and dent the cowl or hood and break the glass.

When I had my car painted The windsheild and everything else was removed and the front fenders loosened and pulled away about a half inch so paint couild spray in the gap smoothly.

The windsheild gasket was only 2 or 3 years old from the previous owner and in fine shape so it was not cut to remove the windsheild and they put the same gasket back in and reused it after painting the car.
I wasn't there so I don't know how the glass guys did it but for about $150 it was well worth it.
The origonal '87 windsheild with it's built in FM antennae is still in the car.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

$150 to install = bargain.

I've had a same spec PPG/no antena windshield put on for $450, no problem.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Genuine Porsche Windshield and Trim 1989

Sean-
I recently purchased the genuine Porsche Sigla tinted windshield (w/antenna and green band) for my 1989 Turbo along with a new factory seal and the correct factory metal trim pieces. All parts are genuine Porsche (not OEM or aftermarket) and were ordered through the dealer parts network. Everything is still in the factory packaging including the windshield in it's original (and unopened) shipping crate. I sold the Turbo prior to replacing the windshield so no longer need the parts.
As you have learned, Porsche is very proud of these factory parts but I will be pleased to make you a very attractive package deal on everything and I note that we are both located in the southeast.
Contact me at your convenience if you are interested. Direct email below is probably best.
Regards, Bill

email: bluebox88@yahoo(dot)com
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I researched this quite awhile ago and somewhere have a copy of instructions for replacing the windshield. Seems a couple of you have gone down that road. If I recall, in order to remove the windshield one first has to remove the metal trim piece that's in the seal grove....which can't be done without destroying the trim UNLESS you take an exacto knife and cut through the seal at a angle beneath the trim piece to 'relieve' it; then you can pull it out.

To install the windshield, you do it as a unit with first installing the new seal on the window itself and then pressing in the metal trim....then rope the window into the car.

Is this close to what y'all have done?
Yes, this is exactly it. I found that the easiest way to install the rubber trim and metal trim on is to lay the windshield over a box where the edges hang off all the way around. It also helps if the trim is a little warm. It is easiest on a warm day where you can lay the rubber in the sun for a few minutes.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Working with rubber seals and trim is always easier if the rubber is more pliable from being warm.
Similar situation: If you ever reinstall the rubber molding in the rocker panels let it lay out in the hot sun for a little while and get good and warm to soften it and it will install alot easier in the groove. A little vasaline or lexol vinylex sprayed on the rubber or trim can help too.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox88 View Post
Sean-
I recently purchased the genuine Porsche Sigla tinted windshield (w/antenna and green band) for my 1989 Turbo along with a new factory seal and the correct factory metal trim pieces. All parts are genuine Porsche (not OEM or aftermarket) and were ordered through the dealer parts network. Everything is still in the factory packaging including the windshield in it's original (and unopened) shipping crate. I sold the Turbo prior to replacing the windshield so no longer need the parts.
As you have learned, Porsche is very proud of these factory parts but I will be pleased to make you a very attractive package deal on everything and I note that we are both located in the southeast.
Contact me at your convenience if you are interested. Direct email below is probably best.
Regards, Bill

email: bluebox88@yahoo(dot)com
Shucks! I just placed the order for a new windshield from the dealer. It should be here in a few days. My insurance covered 100% of the repair cost, so it's not like I am out any money. I would have liked to help out another Pelican though.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: