Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars & Coffee Killer

I've always thought of Joe P as something like Mayor Daley: no matter how many scandals occurred under his watch, none of them seemed to reach him. How many of Joe P's athletes have had extra-legal incidents while at Penn State?

It appears in this case, Joe P made the minimum effort, then moved on. His biggest concern was probably with keeping the scandal quiet...

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
The Tweeze

Quote:
If you were told by a co-worker that one of your employees was caught
raping a 10 year old boy at
work, would you just tell your
boss? Chew on that one for
a little while.....
+1

Well said...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
How can Mike McQueary ever sleep at night? What a coward. Seeing a young boy getting raped and walking away.
This is exactly what I thought. You see a young boy being raped and you leave and go tell your boss? I would only have left to find a baseball bat to beat the rapist to death. I wouldn't shoot him only because I want his suffering to last a while.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Okay......Joe Paterno reported this to his Athletic Director. Do we know for a fact that he did nothing whatsoever other than that? Although, having asked that, I admit I am disturbed that it appears nobody called police.

Chris, I guess I am waiting for someone to illustrate this supposed pattern of Joe Paterno doing the bare minimum in enforcing codes of behavior within his program. As I have said, my understanding of his approach is 180 degrees off from that. I recall one instance in which a small group of PS football players got inebriated (these are college boys, after all) and created a disturbance that was reported to Paterno. Paterno considered this for a few days and ultimately chose his response. Apparently, a civic group had been cleaning the stadium after each game and donating the proceeds (the university pays to get the stadium cleaned up after games) to charity. Coach Paterno had his players, not just the ones who had created the disturbance but rather the entire team, clean the stadium in their place, and of course donate the proceeds to the same charity. This kind of response is more than routine for Joe. His intolerance of irresponsible behavior has come to be legendary.

No, I can't explain his lack of action in this Sandusky thing. And maybe Joe Paterno has, over the years, become transformed from a model of decency and propriety into a demon of deceit. I am unfamiliar with this last part. Very familiar with the first part. That's what I'm sayin'. For decades, a player's decision to become a Nittany Lion was a decision to follow a strict and narrow code of behavior.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

One thing to consider regarding the history of JoePa would be the severity of past program issues. The example given by Supe above is a perfect starting point. A group of college football players getting drunk and causing trouble is nothing noteworthy, anything short of them seriously injuring or killing someone wouldn't even be worthy of national news. It's easy to write off such an incident as "boys being boys" and go on with life. But this issue is exponentially worse.

Even if JoePa had called the police immediately after hearing of the incident, his football program would have been tarnished for years to come. This wasn't someone on the periphery of Penn State football, this was his DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR raping young boys. It would have had a significant impact on his program recruiting, as well as reflected horribly on JoePa himself. As the saying goes, perception is reality.

So Joe was facing an issue that, if exposed to the public, would have had a very real impact on his football program and coaching career for years to come. Perhaps the risk of tarnishing his reputation was enough motivation to simply let the matter pass with a sigh of relief?
Past: 911T, Carrera, 951, 955s, 996s, 987s, 997s, BMW x5, C36, C63, XJR, S8, Maserati Coupe, GT500, etc
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Yes, perhaps. A number of folks have posted their assumptions that Paterno was looking to avoid tarnishing the program and that he let the matter pass because of this motivation. Without a doubt, that is a leap of conclusion that is not backed up by fact. Nobody here has reported a knowledge of Mr. Paterno's motivations. Guesses, yes. Knowledge....impossible.

It looks like nobody reported this to police, and that is indeed disturbing. And frankly I will admit that, regardless of what Joe did or didn't do, he had the option of reporting this to police regardless of whether the Athletic Director did or did not report it. Failure to take decisive action was uncharacteristic for him, according to my observations. But again, if Paterno has changed his ethical code 180 degrees over the years and somebody can illustrate that for me, then great. I like to read.

BTW, his guy raping the young boy.....was NOT Paterno's defensive coordinator. Former, yes. Current, no. And I continue to wonder about what conversations might have taken place between Paterno and Sandusky immediately prior to Sandusky's resignation in 1999. Again, according to my understanding of Paterno's fairly consistent modus operandi, I would be not surprised at all to learn that Sandusky's choices were resignation or dismissal, and he chose resignation. The Joe Paterno I know would not have tolerated this sort of man within the program. And maybe he didn't. Still, I will once again admit, that it looks as though Paterno missed an important duty. Unusual.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Paterno did notify Schultz, who was not only a VP of the University at the time but in charge of the campus police. I don't know the hierarchy of first responders regarding campus incidents but I would assume it to be the campus police. Penn State, University Park, is a large facility. I don't believe the campus police are a joke.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Location: Kauai, North shore/Chino Valley Az. Roaming in my motorhome
For me this issue goes far beyond the guilt or failings of Joe Paterno. its about the poisonous corrupt atmosphere that can come to exist in organizations that supposedly function for the enrichment and well being of the individuals within that organization. But come to the point where the enrichment and well being of the org. trumps that of the individuals. To the extent that this kind of scandal is handled to minimize the impact on the org. at the likely expense of the very people the org. is supposed to be serving and nurturing.

Knowingly moving or covering up for Perps that prey on young, weak, defenseless kids.
Allowing known predators the chance to continue their devastating crimes on other victims
for years to come. And the school did that by giving the Perp access to the facilities for use with the youth programs there on campus. Its beyond belief.

There is another, world wide organization (unnamed, don't want to sent this to PARF) that is trying to dig its self out from under the consequences of century's of this kind of policy. Seeing the scaring impact of such behavior on the victims and their families has not apparently been enough to bring about the changes needed to stop this sort of attitudes.
Scary

Richard

Last edited by tevake; 11-08-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Every single person involved, either as an eye witness or 3rd party to this are guilty for not calling the police.

The guy has been on campus for a decade after the known incidents.

Anyone who knew about the allegations and did not enquire further as to why that POS was not rotting in jail is culpable.

Escalating up and not following up is not an excuse.

Hope they have good lawyers cause I smell a well deserved civil suit coming.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

I agree. It appears that multiple balls were dropped resulting in ongoing tragedy. Why this man was allowed to use university facilities (assuming that people knew of his disgusting and criminal predatory behavior) is impossible to explain away.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
(assuming that people knew of his disgusting and criminal predatory behavior)
Assuming?

That's one of the basic facts here.

FYI, here's just part of the timeline:

1998: The investigation into retired Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky begins in 1998 with the first child sex allegations reported to law enforcement. Campus police and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare investigate an incident in which the mother of an 11-year-old boy reports that Sandusky has showered with her son. In an interview with authorities in June 1998, Sandusky admits showering naked with the boy. He admits that it was wrong and promises not to do it again, according to the grand jury report. No charges will be filed and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed.

1999: Sandusky retires after coaching at Penn State for 32 years. He remains on campus as a volunteer and has full access to football facilities.

2000: A janitor at the football building on campus tells his supervisor and another janitor that he saw Sandusky performing a sex act on a young boy, according to the grand jury report. Another janitor reports that he saw Sandusky and a boy leave a shower room and walk out of the building hand in hand. No one reports the incidents to authorities.

All of this was successfully kept quiet until around 2005, when someone came forward and busted them on this current shower rape, which happened in 2002.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

If he (Sandusky) is found guilty he needs to have someone twice his size shove something you know where. No KY jelly either. Make sure he enjoys it.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Super Moderator

Garage
And he was part of a program for "at risk" kids until they removed him from the organization in 2008 (though they first heard allegations in 1998). This is an f'ed up story...
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
And he was part of a program for "at risk" kids until they removed him from the organization in 2008 (though they first heard allegations in 1998). This is an f'ed up story...
That part is really not surprising. Pedophiles routinely seek out jobs or activities where they have access to children and are in positions of trust.

Sick bastards.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm also reminded of some past PPOT threads where an adult woman in a position of authority has sex with a minor boy and people here think it is "awesome". I wonder why they haven't piped up with the "maybe the kids wanted to have sex" argument.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
This is a bad thing. A man in that position of trust pulling something like this off. This has devastated the good people up here in PA. I believe enough people are up in arms that this won't slip by this time.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I'm also reminded of some past PPOT threads where an adult woman in a position of authority has sex with a minor boy and people here think it is "awesome". I wonder why they haven't piped up with the "maybe the kids wanted to have sex" argument.
Really?

You think a 16 year old boy having sex with a 30 year old (usually young looking and hot or semi hot) woman is at all like a 60 year old man anally raping a 10 year old boy?

No distinction there for ya?

Last edited by McLovin; 11-08-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Location: Kauai, North shore/Chino Valley Az. Roaming in my motorhome
Lets hope that you are right, Larry.
I'm pretty sure that his victims over the last 10 - 12 years
wish that this had been dealt with way back when it first came to light.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Really?

You think a 16 year old boy having sex with a 30 year old (usually young looking and hot or semi hot) woman is at all like a 60 year old man anally raping a 10 year old boy?

No distinction there for ya?
I think they are both wrong.

How about a 35 year old woman molesting a 13 year old boy vs. a 13 year old boy having sex with a 35 year old (kinda hot) man?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Shirley, you don't think they are equally wrong?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: