Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Ag02M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
The MP "stalls" because the pressure differential between the top of the plate and plenum is zero. Steve at Rennsport solution's is the beauty of its simplicity. By modifying the fulcrum so that when the stall pressure differential is zero, the fuel distributor is at max fuel delivery.
Can you explain in more detail Steve's modification? I apologize if I missed it.

Would it provide benefit in cojunction with the new plate? Or do you think the new plate might provide enough force to get the full fuel delivery without stall?

Cheers all.

RT
WTB: 964/965 Turbo stuff...carbon fibre bits, Techart wheel parts, RS/lightweight flywheel, 993 EVO uprights, G50 gears or 6 sp., 964 RSR swaybars, custom droplinks and any other cool stuff, pm me! Also a nice medium build 327 Chevy engine.

Coming SOME DAY...1991 3.3 turbo, Tahoe Blue Metallic with some mods
Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

The big deal to me about the special MP is eliminate stalling of the MP and hopefully get it to not slow down as it approaches 100%.

If you want to effect how fast the MP moves of idle and cruse so we get an accelerator pump effect, do it with CP. I did this with my system and it worked great!

You can do it by converting the WUR to be "Vacuum Sensing" instead of boost sensing. That is what Porsche did on the 3.0 turbo WUR's and was done on a bunch of other cars.

For example. If we set the idle AFR at 14.5 currently we do not have very good throttle response with the current WUR set up because we get a lean spot off idle with acceleration.

If the WUR is converted to "vac sensing" the WUR will trigger just like with the boost enrichment dose at .5 bar boost.

Now, as soon as we touch the throttle, CP drops and the AFR will richen to say about 13/1. This give us more power at the same rpms.

Thus, acceleration fuel!

If we get this right we will slowly increase our enrichment AFR curve to be just a little fat at TQ peak and then level off a a solid level approaching red line. Even with a big turbo.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

While I don't have much input here on the CIS itself, I know the Synapse Engineering products inside and out. I've been using them extensively since their debut and know the owner(Pete) quite well.

If you have questions about them that pertain to this thread just ask and I'll answer where I can
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

I can't help but notice this thing looks like a cross between an old doorbell and one of those things that go under a furniture caster to keep it from rolling around on a hard floor, or the top of a small pot minus the knob or part of an old percolator coffee maker...

It looks easy to come close to guessing it's dimensions from the pictures.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't help but notice this thing looks like a cross between an old doorbell and one of those things that go under a furniture caster to keep it from rolling around on a hard floor, or the top of a small pot minus the knob or part of an old percolator coffee maker...

It looks easy to come close to guessing it's dimensions from the pictures.

J,

I have one (the photo on page 1) and it is at Steve's. He is going to install it
while he is doing my fuel head. I will have it back in a couple weeks. At that
time I will take some more photos and post them. If there is interest I will
take it to an aluminum spinner and have some made.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 03-07-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you explain in more detail Steve's modification? I apologize if I missed it.

Would it provide benefit in co junction with the new plate? Or do you think the new plate might provide enough force to get the full fuel delivery without stall?
RT,

I don't think anyone but Steve knows exactly how or what is done to the
metering mechanism and, understandably so, he will not go into detail with
anyone.
From what I was told by Chris Fisher the velocity plate does allow the
metering plate to travel past the stall point in which case the metering
mechanism mod might not be needed.
I am going by the fact this device was engineered and used by Mercedes
and I have never known them to just bolt S--- on a motor or fuel system
without substantial R&D and Engineering. If it didn't help they wouldn't
use it.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 03-07-2009 at 01:06 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
While I don't have much input here on the CIS itself, I know the Synapse Engineering products inside and out. I've been using them extensively since their debut and know the owner(Pete) quite well.

Adam,

Thanks for the input and the offer. I just ordered mine this week. I have
read everything I could find and have seen no negatives Looking forward
to trying it.

Cole
Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Thierry25;4527480]dear Mark

The andial controller is very limited in it action since it can not get the MAP information. It would be relatively easy to modify some resistance inside to change the duty cycle . But it is much more convenient to do it by programming the AIC controller ...would be much easier and much accurate.

the Andial controler doesn't controle the original lambda freq valve. The andial controle his own added freq valve.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I think I used the term Lambda inappropriately. Frequency valve is more accurate. My Andial has been working well for several years now....I'm just tinkering with changing the "how" of how it works.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag02M5 View Post

Would it provide benefit in cojunction with the new plate? Or do you think the new plate might provide enough force to get the full fuel delivery without stall?

Cheers all.

RT
It has not been discussed....trade secret, I guess.
But the thing(s) that could be done is putting the fulcrum on an eccentric bushing and modifying the end of the lever that touches the fuel distributor valve/plunger. How much of an eccentric or modification would be the trade secret. MY $0.02, of course.
The C2T X50(M50) H.O. engine used the same fuel distributor as C2T and the '87 930, but the air metering unit is unique to the X50. They did something different on these metering units. Dunno what though.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Subscribing.
I see alot of thought has gone into this thread, which is great. I am glad I am not the only guy thinking to himself about CIS.

My difference is that I have a "kit" on my SC 3.0. The only parts left from the kit are the boots for the metering plate inlet and the throttle body. I monitor lots of data; all analog, such as inlet temp to the airbox, CIS plenum temperature (effective temperature rise across the compressor), AFR and boost level. I am relatively low HP compared to what everyone is speaking of here, probably around 285 RWHP at 5.5 PSI boost, but it's certainly a lot more than the 161 RWHP I had as an SC. I have run various combinations of stuff for fueling, starting with stock CIS. That was good, until I got the revs up, and then it went lean. I then went IA modded SC head, which went rich all across the rev range. I went to a Leask WUR, which solved regular street driving and high RPM fueling, but I was pig rich at mid range at the track (I can't help myself, I love the car at the track). Then, I went to a Leask RPM solenoid switch, but that didn't solve the mid range problem.

So, I switched back to a stock CIS 3.0 fuel head, and I was back to good, except a tad lean at the track. Then I detonated the engine at Watkins Glen, so I have it apart, going back together now. Stephen at IA re-modded the head for me, so we will see how that responds.

My thinking on this is somewhat similar to the original premise by 911st...plate stall at the top of the rev range. If I could diminish the stall effect, I could run the stock CIS fuel head and it would all be good. I have considered RPM synchronized fuel pump pressure (Summit has one, God only knows what the drag racers use it for). I can drop control pressure, but to no avail. I am being underfueled at the extreme. I suspect the plate motion vs fuel volume delivery is slightly non-linear. I think the 930 setup gets you a better air entry into the plate area, but after that, CIS is all the same. If I recall rudimentary fluids from school, we have basically traded off velocity pressure for static pressure at the plate, as we are killing the high velocity area in the center of the velocity profile, and effectively making the plate function as a diffuser. Also, we are speaking of a mechanical device, with mass and inertia. I experience mid range over-rich conditions, which makes it difficult to get out of a corner at the track, which I attribute to the inertial effects of the metering device. I have also considered changing the fulcrum point, but that needs to be dynamically changing, like maybe an eccentric pivot point.

I like WERK-1's thought on the mysterious cone, which would tend to alleviate the condition somewhat. Does anyone have a picture of this?
The biggest problem is the damn CIS itself. I have spent enough money to go EFI at this point, but I am stubborn, and I just know this will work eventually. I really think that somewhere Porsche/Bosch had this figured out, but didn't put it into production...warranty claims, maybe?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post

When i had these two new hybrid K16/24's installed on my 993 lump

I set off for Le Mans 2008, i got nearly 2 miles down the road and the new BOV'S i'd had fitted

Failed! What happened next was strange. The BOV's were second hand, they didn't open on vacuum. The right hand turbo stalled, the nut then came off the end of the shaft on the compressor side and the left hand turbo sucked it all the way around the back of the intake and into the compressor of the LH turbo, Basically destroying both turbos. Not a good day!
Stock Porsche BOV's in now and all is well, RS Tuning use the stock 993tt BOV's in even their most extreme road turbo builds.
Lesson being, use proper BOV's
Everyone else installs there BOV or CBV with the piston perpendicular to the boost pressure. This is the right way to do it but the boost side loads the pistons.

I ran mine so the position pushes against the boost and in the same line. It took a the spring tension to a small degree and the boost building up behind the piston that had about three times as much surface area to push the valve closed.

Again, my valve stayed open most of the time to keep the turbo spinning. Not like they are supposed to be run. Any time there was vacuum pulling in the intake manifold, they it was open. Like at idle and cruse. Accelerate, and they snapped shut.

Never though about it till now, but I can understand why your BOV may have failed with all the side loading. My set up would likely have kept that from happening and given you faster boost.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Pat,

Quote:
I like WERK-1's thought on the mysterious cone, which would tend to alleviate the condition somewhat. Does anyone have a picture of this?
The biggest problem is the damn CIS itself. I have spent enough money to go EFI at this point, but I am stubborn, and I just know this will work eventually. I really think that somewhere Porsche/Bosch had this figured out, but didn't put it into production...warranty claims, maybe?
I took a couple pics. for you.The cone is tacked to the top of the air cleaner and extends down 2.25 in. it tapers from nearly nothing where it is tacked to a
2.375 in. dia. The end of the cone, in place, is about .375 in above the metering plate.
Most of us with 930's still running CIS S--- can the stock air cleaner for small
cartridge type. This allows more room in a very crowded engine bay. I have
never heard anyone mention any difference in CIS functional operation after
removing the stock air cleaner. This leads me to think the cone has no impact on the metering plate.

I understand what your saying about Bosch and Porsche having the answers. I have a tendancy to agree with Keith in that they designed it for the HP of what it was being installed in, not for a bunch of crazies trying
to wring every last drop of hp out of it. I think the 930 CIS is actually off the old 6.3 Mercedes; if you look they usually have 2 extra injector ports blocked off or plugged. The K Jetronic was used on a lot of different cars
so instead of reinventing the wheel they just retrofited what they already had.

Cole

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 03-08-2009 at 08:22 AM..
Old 03-07-2009, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Found my old add from when I sold my old what I call at the time "electronic WUR"

930/CIS Fueler/tuning w a Lap top FS

Man it worked well:

Old 03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Most of us with 930's still running CIS S--- can the stock air cleaner for small
cartridge type. This allows more room in a very crowded engine bay. I have
never heard anyone mention any difference in CIS functional operation after
removing the stock air cleaner. This leads me to think the cone has no impact on the metering plate.

Cole
Cole,
The jury is still out on that one. Let's just say the best we could do was agree to disagree. The debates started when the "great" Powerflow air cleaner assembly came out and people were pretty ticked that they were not seeing the HP increases the manufacturer had claimed. There was a lot of speculation back then on what "the cone" was used for. At the very least it redirects and stabilizes the air flow to the metering plate.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-08-2009, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

That cone is definitely a flow straightening device, as Dave says. Probably directs the airstream out towards the edges of the plate, I would suspect at higher airflow rates.

Looking at some K-Jet literature last night, and being a non-930 guy, I realized what should have been obvious to me: the 930 and SC airflow directions are opposite. 930's flow down, and mine flows up. So, it is a completely different dynamic regarding airflow, but the symptoms and stalling are the same. Hmmm.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

[QUOTE=911st;4529644]Found my old add from when I sold my old what I call at the time "electronic WUR"QUOTE]

I really like the idea, but how/where can I get my hands on the custom AIC-1 controller? Since I'm already using the Andial setup, it would be so simple to upgrade it to something more tuneable.
For now, I'll continue with my plans to make the Andial injector react to a combination of boost and rpm delayed enrichment, and look at modifying the duty cycle adjustment (via resistors at the potentiometer) if more enrichment is needed beyond the stock design.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Dave,

Quote:
Cole,
The jury is still out on that one. Let's just say the best we could do was agree to disagree. The debates started when the "great" Powerflow air cleaner assembly came out and people were pretty ticked that they were not seeing the HP increases the manufacturer had claimed. There was a lot of speculation back then on what "the cone" was used for. At the very least it redirects and stabilizes the air flow to the metering plate.
Dave I agree with you !!!! I was wrong to have made a definitive "no"
statement. I know from changing air cleaners on my motor I "noticed" no
difference in idle, cruise, or wot. I'm quite sure if you were to flow the CIS
with and without we would know the difference although I never heard
of a unit flow tested with an air cleaner installed.
In retrospect I will reiterate, as with my "Mercedes" statement, I don't
think Porsche would have put it there if I did not serve some functional
purpose. You and Pat are probably right in it being used to direct air, in
some particular manner or pattern, over the metering plate for some
functional purpose I do not Know.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 03-08-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

[QUOTE=mark houghton;4530033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Found my old add from when I sold my old what I call at the time "electronic WUR"QUOTE]

I really like the idea, but how/where can I get my hands on the custom AIC-1 controller? Since I'm already using the Andial setup, it would be so simple to upgrade it to something more tuneable.
For now, I'll continue with my plans to make the Andial injector react to a combination of boost and rpm delayed enrichment, and look at modifying the duty cycle adjustment (via resistors at the potentiometer) if more enrichment is needed beyond the stock design.

Just contact Splet Second Timing and ask for an AIC-1 with an internal oscillator so you can fix the frequency instead of having it be a function of rpm.

http://www.splitsec.com/index.html

If they do not understand, contact me and I will give you my name and they can look up my system from 2002.

However, the Digital WUR accomplishes the same thing is has a lot of support and may be easier for most.

As to the Air Filter Cone. There has been much debate with the advent of the ABS replacement that takes a cartridge K&N style filter. No real conclusion was ever reached though one or two seemed fell they lowt something with the change.

It looks to me like it is designed to feel in the low pressure area of a swirl pattern and the above the MP to reduce turbulence. If you look at the overall design, it is not much different in how the watter looks when you flush the toilet.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Dave,

Dave I agree with you !!!! I was wrong to have made a definitive "no"
statement. I know from changing air cleaners on my motor I "noticed" no
difference in idle, cruise, or wot. I'm quite sure if you were to flow the CIS
with and without we would know the difference although I never heard
of a unit flow tested with an air cleaner installed.
In retrospect I will reiterate, as with my "Mercedes" statement, I don't
think Porsche would have put it there if I did not serve some functional
purpose. You and Pat are probably right in it being used to direct air, in
some particular manner or pattern, over the metering plate for some
functional purpose I do not Know.

Cole
Cole,
Oh, no, I didn't mean to say I was disagreeing with you in any way. I going back to the time, several years ago, when the Powerflow first came out. I was one of those who purchased the product from IA who was suspecting the unit didn't perform as claimed. I'm with you 100%.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Cole,
Oh, no, I didn't mean to say I was disagreeing with you in any way. I going back to the time, several years ago, when the Powerflow first came out. I was one of those who purchased the product from IA who was suspecting the unit didn't perform as claimed. I'm with you 100%.
I just can't let the day go by without my 2 cents worth.
I too almost fell for the ABS plastic box "improvement", but instead opted to simply modify a spare stock airbox I had on hand, to accept a huge cone K&N filter. Ended up looking just like the Powerflow unit. Probably all I really benefitted was opening up the engine compartment...and just maybe a little more flow through the K&N. In retrospect, if that cone shaped piece at the end of the box is deemed important for directing airflow across the metering plate, then I guess I got the best of both worlds by keeping the (almost) stock box assembly.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: